Graph Vector Function r(t) = sin t (i) + cos t (j) + t (k)

In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of the vector function r(t) = sin t (i) + cos t (j) + t (k), with x = sin t and y = cos t. It is determined that the graph is parallel to the XY plane and forms a circle with the equation x^2 + y^2 = 1. The final conclusion is that the graph is a helix on the Z-axis.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

r(t) = sin t (i) + cos t (j) + t (k)

(a) Graph the vector function

i = x

j = y

k = z

Is this correct.

Since t is in the Z direction. I'm going to assume that this graph is parallel to the XY plane.

Now I'll take

x = sin t
y = cost t

Then if you square both of these functions.

so then we get x^2 + y^2 = (sin t) ^ 2 + (cos t) ^ 2

Then this becomes x^2 + y ^2 = 1

So it's a circle. Right. Is it going to be a spring or coil on the z - axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, that's right. The term for such a graph is a "helix".

Oh ok. Thanks.

Related to Graph Vector Function r(t) = sin t (i) + cos t (j) + t (k)

1. What does the graph of r(t) = sin t (i) + cos t (j) + t (k) represent?

The graph of this vector function represents a three-dimensional curve in space, with the x-coordinate given by the sine of t, the y-coordinate given by the cosine of t, and the z-coordinate given by t.

2. How can I determine the direction of the vector at a specific point on the graph?

To determine the direction of the vector at a specific point on the graph, you can calculate the derivative of the function with respect to t at that point. The resulting vector will be tangent to the curve at that point and will indicate the direction of the curve at that point.

3. What is the range of values for t in this function?

The range of values for t in this function is typically given as all real numbers, although it can be restricted depending on the context of the problem being solved.

4. How can I find the speed of an object moving along this graph?

The speed of an object moving along this graph can be found by calculating the magnitude of the derivative of the function with respect to t. This gives the magnitude of the velocity vector at any given point on the curve.

5. Can this vector function be used to model real-world phenomena?

Yes, this vector function can be used to model real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a particle in space or the path of a moving object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in three-dimensional space.