Graphing a Heaviside unit function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution and graph of a differential equation involving a Heaviside unit function and a Dirac delta function. The solution is found using Laplace transform and the resulting expression is simplified to a sine function multiplied by the unit step functions. The graph is then discussed, with clarification on how to handle the minus sign in the expression. It is concluded that the combined graph can be obtained by taking the difference of the two individual graphs.
EngageEngage
[SOLVED] Graphing a Heaviside unit function

Homework Statement

find solution of the following differential eq and graph it:

[tex] y'' + 4y = \delta(t-2\pi)[/tex]
[tex]y(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]y'(0)=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \delta[/tex]
is the Dirac delta function
[tex] u_{c} [/tex]
is the Heaviside unit step function

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the laplace transform and found the solution to be:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}u_{\pi}(sin(2(t-\pi)))-\frac{1}{2}u_{2\pi}(sin(2(t-2\pi)))[/tex]

which i checked and it is right. However, I'm not sure how to graph this. The following is what I have:

before t = pi and after t = 2pi, y = 0.
But, in between what will it be? If anyone could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the sine function is periodic, you can write the expression as
[tex]
\frac{1}{2}sin2t(u_{\pi}-u_{2\pi})
[/tex]
Now can you proceed?

Thank you for the help! So, then from pi to 2 pi I will just have that sine wave? Also, if you could please help me figure this out:

so then is this:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}u_{\pi}(sin(2(t-\pi)))-\frac{1}{2}u_{2\pi}(sin(2(t-2\pi)))[/tex]
not the same as this?:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}u_{\pi}(sin(2(t-\pi)))+\frac{1}{2}u_{2\pi}(-sin(2(t-2\pi)))[/tex]

Thank you for the help! So, then from pi to 2 pi I will just have that sine wave?
Correct :)

About the second question, yes you can take the minus sign with the sine term, that's basic multiplication. sin(2t-2pi) = sin(2t-4pi) = sin(2t)

Thanks again, but I'm not sure that i stated the second question right. I mean that if i bring the minus sign inside of the parenthesis it implies to me (maybe incorrectly) that the second sine wave will start at 2pi and propagate to infinity.

Okay let me clear things up a bit,
You follow how
becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{2}sin(2t)u_{\pi}-\frac{1}{2}sin(2t)u_{2\pi}[/tex]
correct?
Now the first term is the sine function from pi to infinity, the second term is the sine function from 2pi to infinity. Taking difference of the two graphs gives the combined graph.

Last edited:
Ahh, I for some reason pictured this differently. But i definitely see now. Thank you for the help arunbg!

1. What is a Heaviside unit function?

A Heaviside unit function is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for all negative values and 1 for all positive values. It is also known as the unit step function or the unit step.

2. How is a Heaviside unit function graphed?

A Heaviside unit function is graphed as a horizontal line at y = 0 for all values less than 0, and a horizontal line at y = 1 for all values greater than or equal to 0.

3. What is the purpose of using a Heaviside unit function?

A Heaviside unit function is often used in mathematical models to represent a sudden change or a step-like behavior. It is also used in engineering and physics to model discontinuous or sudden events.

4. Can a Heaviside unit function be shifted or stretched?

Yes, a Heaviside unit function can be shifted or stretched by adding or multiplying a value to the input variable. This will change the location and steepness of the step function, but it will still maintain its shape and behavior.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Heaviside unit functions?

Yes, Heaviside unit functions are commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. They are also used in economics and finance to model sudden changes in variables such as stock prices or interest rates.