Graphing calculator scene project

In summary, the student is trying to create a boat scene using a graphing calculator and does not understand how to make a small fish and flag. He needs help with these and also with the equations for the fish and flag.
gchiffxo

Homework Statement

okay so I am doing a graphing calculator project where i have to create some kind of scene, using a ti 84+, and so far i have created a boat and waves, and i can't seem to figure out how to make a small fish (supposed to be in quadrant 3) and also a flag (for the boat) and birds at the top...i know for the birds you can use absolute value but i don't know what numbers to plug in because i don't have my calculator on me...so pleease help me, this project is due tomorrow! and thank you so much in advance <3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

these are the functions i have so far

y=.05x2-9 restrictions (x>-9 and x<12)

y=-.05x2-9 restrictions (x>-9 and x<12)

y=sin(x)
y=cos(x)
y=Ö(1-X^2)
y=-Ö(1-X^2)
y= (999,9999,999)*(x-2)

if you can help me improve these also, thatd be awesome, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For fish you could simply use a circle, ellipse, parabola etc. with a suitable range restriction to create the shape of a child's depiction of a fish.

Example,

[tex]y=x^2+6x+7[/tex]
[tex]y=-x^2-6x-10[/tex]

restriction of [tex]-4<x<\frac{-6+\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

and then to finish off the tail, you can use x=-4 or maybe another suitable parabola if you like.For the flag well the pole is simply x=a and y=b to create an elongated rectangle, you can use a stretched out sine curve for the wavy flag, maybe with an ellipse or very fat side-ways parabola to connect the flag between the joints where it is attached to the pole, and finish off with another x=a line to complete the flag shape. As for the birds, honestly, I can't visualize what they're meant to look like :smile:

Last edited:
Your teacher assigned this? Yours must of been nicer than mine - mine discouraged drawing pictures on calculators.

I don't necessarily think that one teacher is nicer than the other because of this, but rather what each of them think would be an effective learning tool. I for one find it quite neat. It can be somewhat fun to see you progressing along and it also makes you think to try and use your graphing skills and tests your knowledge of how graphs work.

gchiffxo said:
y= (999,9999,999)*(x-2)

You don't need to do this. If you want a vertical graph going through the x-axis at 2, then all you need is x=2.

I find it neat too. I just did used it as a distraction instead of an assignment

Learning for fun can never be a bad thing :wink:

Better that than distracting yourself by drawing pictures on the table. Where's the math in that haha

1. What is a graphing calculator scene project?

A graphing calculator scene project is a project that involves creating a visual representation of a mathematical equation or function using a graphing calculator. It typically involves using the graphing calculator's functions and features to plot points, lines, and curves in order to accurately depict the equation or function.

2. How do you create a graphing calculator scene project?

To create a graphing calculator scene project, you will need a graphing calculator with the necessary features and functions. You will then need to input the equation or function into the calculator and use the appropriate functions to plot the points, lines, or curves. You may also need to adjust the scale and window settings on the calculator to ensure that the graph is accurately represented.

3. What are the benefits of doing a graphing calculator scene project?

There are several benefits to doing a graphing calculator scene project. It helps to improve your understanding of mathematical concepts and equations by visualizing them in a tangible form. It also allows you to practice using the functions and features of a graphing calculator, which can be useful for future math courses or exams. Additionally, it can be a fun and creative way to explore and showcase mathematical concepts.

4. What are some tips for creating a successful graphing calculator scene project?

Some tips for creating a successful graphing calculator scene project include carefully selecting the equation or function, paying attention to the scale and window settings, and double-checking your work for accuracy. It can also be helpful to plan out your project beforehand and have a clear idea of how you want the final graph to look. Additionally, don't be afraid to experiment and try different functions and features to create a unique and visually appealing graph.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for creating a graphing calculator scene project?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for creating a graphing calculator scene project. You can find step-by-step guides, video tutorials, and even pre-made templates that you can customize. Some graphing calculator manufacturers also have their own resources and tutorials on their websites. Additionally, your math teacher or tutor may be able to provide guidance and assistance with your project.