Graphing help - Ti89: How to graph x^2 + y^2 = 4, etc

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with graphing equations on their TI-89 calculator. The conversation includes suggestions for using parametric equations and finding the solution by graphing the equations. The expert summarizer advises isolating y and solving for x as a quicker method.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am working on these problems, systems of equations and inequalities. Now, I know how to do the problem and find the solution set, but our teacher said that we can check our answer by graphing it without graphing calcs.

I have a Ti89 Titanium. How do I input/graph the following with my ti89:

x^2 + y^2 = 4
x^2 + 2x + y^2 = 0

Any help would be great! Thanks guys

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do it as two separate functions:
[tex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2}[/tex]
[tex]y= -\sqrt{4- x^2}[/tex]

[tex]y= \sqrt{x^2+ 2x}[/tex]
[tex]y= -\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}[/tex]

Or, set "mode" to parametric equations and use
[tex]x= 2 cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]y= 2 sin(t)[/tex]

and, since [itex]x^2+ 2x+ y^2= x^2+ 2x+ 1- 1+ y^2= (x+ 1)^2+ y^2- 1= 0[/itex]
gives [itex](x+ 1)^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]
set "mode" to parametric equations and use
[tex]x= -1+ cos(t)[/tex]
[tex]y= sin(t)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not quit getting this here.

Lets do this one. Its for one I am more stuck on than the rest.

"Graph each system of Linear inequalities"

x + y = 2
2x + y = 4

How would I input this on my calc. I am finding the overlapping region, as that is the solution.

?

nukeman said:
I am not quit getting this here.

Lets do this one. Its for one I am more stuck on than the rest.

"Graph each system of Linear inequalities"

x + y = 2
2x + y = 4

How would I input this on my calc. I am finding the overlapping region, as that is the solution.

?

Solve for y in both equations. You should know how to plot lines by now. After you plot the lines, you can verify that you have the correct solution by seeing where the lines intersect.

----------------

Also, reading from your original post, doesn't your teacher want you to check the answer without using a calculator? Being able to type it into your TI-89 is moot.

just isolate y, set equal to each other and solve for x, That will probably take much less time then graphing and finding the point of intersection

From reading the original post, it looks like nukeman already knows how to find the solution. I think he's just trying to graph the equations.

gb7nash said:
From reading the original post, it looks like nukeman already knows how to find the solution. I think he's just trying to graph the equations.

your right, I didnt see that.

Do as HallsOfIvy said above (separating it into two equations), and then simply press:
diamond (green key) F1, to open your Y editor.
Put your equations in there, then press diamond F3 to graph. From the graph screen you can press F2 to look through the menu options and zoom in/out, or press diamond F2 to set the window manually.

If you want to just "solve" the equations, you just have to press F2 (or is it F3) and go to solve.
If you have questions about the functions like Solve/Expand/Factor and such, just press Catalog, and scroll down to find it and it will list the arguments at the bottom of the screen when it's highlighted.

1. How do I input the equation x^2 + y^2 = 4 into a Ti89 graphing calculator?

To input this equation into a Ti89 graphing calculator, press the "Apps" button and select the "Equation Library" option. Then, choose "Conic" and select "Circle". From there, you can enter the equation as x^2 + y^2 = 4 and the calculator will graph it for you.

2. How do I adjust the viewing window to see the entire graph of x^2 + y^2 = 4 on a Ti89 graphing calculator?

To adjust the viewing window on a Ti89 graphing calculator, press the "Window" button. From there, you can change the values for the x-min, x-max, y-min, and y-max to adjust the range of the graph. For this equation, you may want to set the x-min and x-max to -2 and 2, and the y-min and y-max to -2 and 2 to see the entire circle.

3. How can I change the color or style of the graph of x^2 + y^2 = 4 on a Ti89 graphing calculator?

To change the color or style of the graph on a Ti89 graphing calculator, press the "F6" button to access the "Graph Style" menu. From there, you can choose from different line styles, colors, and other options to customize the appearance of the graph.

4. Can I graph other equations, such as x^3 or sin(x), on a Ti89 graphing calculator?

Yes, a Ti89 graphing calculator can graph a variety of equations, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. You can use the "Equation Library" option to input these equations or enter them manually using the calculator's keypad.

5. How do I find the intersection points of x^2 + y^2 = 4 and other equations on a Ti89 graphing calculator?

To find the intersection points of two equations on a Ti89 graphing calculator, you can use the "F5" button to access the "Intersection" menu. From there, you can select the two equations and the calculator will calculate and graph the intersection points. For x^2 + y^2 = 4, the intersection points will be at (2,0), (-2,0), (0,2), and (0,-2).