Graphing Potential and Kinetic Energy of an Oscillating Particle

In summary, the particle oscillates back and forth in a frictionless bowl whose height is given by h(x) = 0.22x2 where h and x are meters. (a) Graphically how the potential and kinetic energies of the particle vary with x. (b) Find where the particle has maximum kinetic energy when h=0 and x=0. (c) If the maximum speed of the particle is 0.4 ms-1, find the x-coordinates at which the particle has maximum potential energy.
sousou_88
1. A particle oscillates back and forth in a frictionless bowl whose height is given by h(x) = 0.22x2 where h and x are meters. (a) Show graphically how the potential and kinetic energies of the particle vary with x.

2. I completed the (b) and (c) part of the problem, but I'm not sure as to how I graph to illustrate how the potential nad kinetic energies of the particle vary with x. Any assitance would be very much appreciated!

3. I really don't even know where to start or how to start, and how I would label my axis, etc. So if anybody can lead me in the right direction, that would be really great, becuase I'm lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the particle has maximum kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl in which h=0 and x=0 and that IF the maximum speed of the particle was 0.4ms-1, x=0.19 and -0.19 and h=0.008. Will this information help me in drawing the graph? Because this is what I had to determine for parts (b) and (c): "(b) Where does the particle have maximum kinetic energy? (c) If the maximum speed of the particle is 0.4 ms-1, find the x-coordinates at which the particle has maximum potential energy"

Hint for potential energy graph: what is the potential energy of a mass that is at a height h?

U = mgh?

Yes. So if you had h(x), could you graph U(x)?

yes of course!

As you said, the potential energy is mgh. All you need is to relate h to x, so you need the function h(x). If you know that, then you know th epotential energy as a function of x and you can plot that.

Hint: read the question carefully.

I'm so confused!

sousou_88 said:
I'm so confused!

The potential energy is equal to mg h.

We need to know how the height h depends on the horizontal distance x of the ball. This given to you in the question.

right! U = mgh
h(x) = 0.22x2 (where x2 = x squared)
As x increases in the postive and negative direction, h increases exponentially. For instance, here is a small table I constructed:
x h
-10 22
-5 5.5
-3 1.98
0 0
3 1.98
5 5.5
10 22
*If plotted, it would look like a parabola

sousou_88 said:
right! U = mgh
h(x) = 0.22x2 (where x2 = x squared)
As x increases in the postive and negative direction, h increases exponentially. For instance, here is a small table I constructed:
x h
-10 22
-5 5.5
-3 1.98
0 0
3 1.98
5 5.5
10 22
*If plotted, it would look like a parabola

Good!
It's indeed a parabola.
Note that it does not increase exponentially. Exponential growth is when x is in the exponent.

Now, for the kinetic energy, you need to express 1/2 mv^2 in tersms of x also. You already know the potential energy in terms of x. The trick is to use conservation of energy to
relate kinetic energy to potential energy

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object or system due to its position or configuration. It is often represented by the symbol "U" and can be calculated using the equation U = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is represented by the symbol "K" and can be calculated using the equation K = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How are potential and kinetic energy related in an oscillating particle?

In an oscillating particle, potential and kinetic energies are constantly interchanging. As the particle moves away from its equilibrium position, it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy. As it moves towards its equilibrium position, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. This results in a continuous back-and-forth motion.

4. How do you graph potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle?

To graph potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle, you can plot the potential energy and kinetic energy values on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph will show the continuous exchange of energy between potential and kinetic as the particle oscillates.

5. What factors affect the potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle?

The potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle can be affected by various factors such as the amplitude and frequency of oscillation, the mass of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of potential and kinetic energy present in the system.