1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation (just to check if calculation is right)

1. Jul 24, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if someone could tell me if I did this right:

Two neutron stars are separated by a distance of 10^10m. They each have a mass of 10^30kg and a radius of 10^5m. They are initially at rest relative to each other. How fast are they moving when they collide?

R = 2r + d = 2(10^5)+10^10

v = sqrroot (2Gm2/R^2), sub in all the numbers and v = 1.2x10^5m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get "v= sqrroot(2Gm2/R2"? Shouldn't that be v= sqrroot(2Gm2/R)?

4. Jul 24, 2006 #3
    Hmm I think I rearranged the equation wrong then. Thanks.

5. Jul 24, 2006 #4
    I did Fg = Gm1m2/r^2 = 1/2mv^2

6. Jul 24, 2006 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The total work done is the integral of the force from initial r to final r:

[tex]\int_{r_i}^{r_f}Fdr = \int_{r_i}^{r_f}\frac{Gm^2}{r^2}dr = Gm^2\left(\frac{1}{r_i} - \frac{1}{r_f}\right)[/tex]

This becomes the kinetic energy of both stars, each of which has half this energy:

[tex]KE_{star} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}Gm^2\left(\frac{1}{r_i} - \frac{1}{r_f}\right)[/tex]

[tex]v = \sqrt{Gm\left(\frac{1}{r_i} - \frac{1}{r_f}\right)}[/tex]

AM

7. Jul 24, 2006 #6
    We haven't done integrals in this unit so I don't know how to solve that method =(

8. Jul 24, 2006 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All you need to know is that the potential energy is [itex]U = -GmM/r[/itex]. The change in potential energy between two positions is just [itex]\Delta U = -GmM(1/r_f - 1/r_i)[/itex]. This is the change in potential energy of the system. In this case, the system consists of two stars which move toward each other with equal speed.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?