Gravitational Potential Energy of a bag

In summary, a mail bag with a mass of 120kg is held in equilibrium by a vertical rope 8.0m long. To hold the bag in a position displaced sideways 4.0m from its initial position, a horizontal force of 678.9639N is necessary. The work done by the worker in moving the bag to this position is 1260.433001J. To solve for the horizontal force, use the sum of forces in the x and y directions. To calculate the work done, use the conservation of energy principle.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

A mail bag with a mass 120kg is suspended by a vertical rope 8.0m long.
a.) What horizontal force is necessary to hold the bag in a position displaced sideways 4.0m from its initial position?
b.) How much work is done by the worker in moving the bag to this position?

Homework Equations

K1 + U1 + W_{other} = K2 + U2

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand the problem but here's what i drew so far... can u tell me if this correct
PhysicsPotential.jpg

1/2(mvi^2) + mgy + F x d = 1/2(mvf^2) + mgyf
stuck here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part a) use a free body diagram... use sum of forces = 0 at equilibrium, to calculate this force...

For part b) use conservation of energy... but remember that the bag is at rest at the beginning and at the end of the process of moving, so no kinetic energy. work done is just final energy - initial energy

a.) Equilibrium:
Sum Fy = 0 = Fgrav - N
Fgrav = N
Sum Fx = None

Fgrav = 120kg(9.8m/s^2)
= 1176N

i think Fgrav is the only force to be moved

b.) W = mgy2 - mgy1
= (120kg)(9.8m/s^2)(-4.0m) - (120kg)(9.8m/s^2)(-8.0m)
= 4704J

Part b is right. But part a isn't. You need to consider 3 forces... the horizontal force F, gravity and tension in the rope. The tension has a vertical and horizontal component.

If you do sum Fy = 0, and sum Fx = 0, you should be able to solve for F. You have two equations with two unknowns (tension and F).

Fy = 0 = Fw - T
Fw = T
(120kg)(9.8m/s^2) = T
T = 1176N

Fx = 0 = F

F = 0N?

is it the part when the person already lifted it 4.0m or from the 8.0m?

Edwardo_Elric said:
Fy = 0 = Fw - T
Fw = T
(120kg)(9.8m/s^2) = T
T = 1176N

Fx = 0 = F

F = 0N?

is it the part when the person already lifted it 4.0m or from the 8.0m?

You should calculate these for when it is lifted up... not at the bottom.

a.)
tension has a vertical and horizontal component:
Kinetic.jpg

using pythagoras
L = sqrt (8^2 - 4^2)
L = 6.92820m

F x L = W
since W = 4709J

F = (4709J) / (6.92820m)
F = 678.9639N < --- horizontal component

yeah i know that because this is part a when you don't know the work...
but this is all i got
what do you think?

Last edited:
Hi can u check my work above (part a) if its correct?

You've done the 4m wrong. It says displacement SIDEWAYS.

That means that the Triangle (relative to the top angle) is:
Hyp = 8m
Opp = 4m
Adj = sqrt( 8^2 - 4^2 )
= sqrt (64 - 16)
= sqrt (48)
~ 7

Also, if you had looked, 4^2 + 4^2 =/= 8^2

so my part b
(b.) W = mgy2 - mgy1
= (120kg)(9.8m/s^2)(-4.0m) - (120kg)(9.8m/s^2)(-8.0m)
= 4704J)

is wrong? in which i assumed the initial y to be downward from the bag? which was presumed correct by learningphysics?

Last edited:
position displaced sideways 4.0m from its initial position?

The word "displacement" implies that the absolute distance between the final position and initial position is 4m. But the addition of the word "sideways" means that we're only looking at the horizontal translation. If you had used an absolute 4m displacement, that could be argued correct.
But using a vertical displacement of 4m?
No, that can't be argued correct at all.

So, it is wrong. But, take a lesson from this. Read the question very carefully, and sometimes you'll see they're asking for something completely different from what you thought they wanted, or you'll see that there's extra information given to confuse you, etc.

I apologize Eduardo, BlackWyvern is right. The question says 4m displaced sideways...

So using pyth. theorem... sqrt(8^2 - 4^2) = sqrt(48) = 6.928

so y2 = -6.928 m. y1=-8.0m. So that's what you need to use for part b. so I'm getting mgy2 - mgy1 = 1260.4J

Part a), is still wrong method wise (I'm getting the same number as you, but this is just coincidence I think)... don't use work for part a)... use sum of forces...

for part a),
[tex]Tsin\theta - mg = 0[/tex] (that's the y direction)
[tex]Tcos\theta - F = 0[/tex] (that's the x direction).

Solve for F. Coincidentally I'm getting F = 678. 9639N...

Last edited:
a.) Its in equilibrium:
forces sums to zero --->

F = Tcos(thet)
W = Tsin(thet)

now need to find thet;
cos(thet) = 4/8
(thet) = cos^-1(0.5)
(thet) = 60

mg = Tsin(thet)
((120kg)(9.8m/s^2))/(sin(60) = T
T = 1357.927833 N

F = 1357.927833 N cos(60)
F = 678.9639N

b.) W = ?

W = U2 - U1
W = mgy2 - mgy1
W = (120)(9.8)(-sqrt(48)) - (120)(9.8)(-(8.0)))
W = 1260.433001

Thanks for all the help
Thanks learning physics

everything looks good. you're welcome eduardo.

FAQ: Gravitational Potential Energy of a bag

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a form of potential energy, meaning it is stored and can be converted into other forms of energy.

How is the gravitational potential energy of a bag calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of a bag can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and its height above the ground.

What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of a bag?

The gravitational potential energy of a bag is affected by its mass, its height above the ground, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in.

What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of mechanical energy. As an object falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa.

Can the gravitational potential energy of a bag be negative?

Yes, the gravitational potential energy of a bag can be negative if it is below the reference point (usually the ground) in a gravitational field. This means that the bag has less potential energy than it would have at the reference point.

Back