1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and centrifugal force

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    Hello, this is my first post here :)
    The question I'm having problem with follows: how long would one day have to be so that there would be weightlessness on the equator? (the teacher said that the correct anwser would be roughly 5 minutes)

Solving this by myself I couldn't reach any other conclusion than:
    gravitational force = centrifugal force => mg=mvv/r => g=vv/r => vv=gr
    (v-velocity of any point on the equator, r- radius of the Earth, 6,4 million meters)
    which means that: v=7920m/s => T=2*pi*r/v=5077s=84 minutes

What did I leave out of the account?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome madis.

An equation of the apparent strength of gravity is:
    [tex]g_a = g - r\omega^2 \cos^2 \phi[/tex]
    Where [itex]\phi[/itex] is latitude (which would be zero at equator) and [itex]g_a[/itex] is apparant force of gravity, which in your case would be zero. I can show the derivation if you like.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #3
    Thanks! Using this equation I still got 84 minutes for the solution so I guess this is the real right anwser...

5. Mar 9, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I get around 85 mintues also. I would be interested in seeing how your teacher calculated the five minutes, if you could post it here please:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?