Gravity Rocket Launcher - Explore Physics Fun!

In summary, a conversation was held about a game called "Gravity" found on a website. The participants found it to be cute, addictive, and entertaining, but some felt it should be in a different discussion category. They also suggested improvements such as more levels and bonus points. One person mentioned encountering a bug in the game.
Physics news on Phys.org
That is very cool, and disturbingly addictive... but I think that it belongs in General Discussion. I'm hitting the 'bad post' button on this, but it isn't because it's a bad post; I just think that a mentor might want to move it.

Yep, cute, but definitely not an engineering topic.

This is a cool game. Thanks for posting.

lmao, round 4. I went around the moon, came back and hit the one next to the earth, went around the earth, then around the moon and hit the one next to the moon :smile:

I need more than 5 :bugeye:

That was pretty easy. Needs more levels, and bonus points for long paths!

Also a bit weird when you fly right through the moon because of bugs...

Gee, I aced levels 1-4 but level 5 took me at least 100 tries!

1. How does the gravity rocket launcher work?

The gravity rocket launcher works by using the force of gravity to launch a projectile into the air. When the projectile is released from the launcher, it falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. However, the launcher is angled in such a way that the projectile also has a horizontal velocity, causing it to travel in a curved path. This combination of vertical and horizontal motion results in the projectile being launched into the air.

2. What is the purpose of the gravity rocket launcher?

The purpose of the gravity rocket launcher is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and how gravity affects the motion of objects. It can also be used to study the relationship between launch angle, initial velocity, and range of the projectile.

3. What materials are needed to build a gravity rocket launcher?

To build a gravity rocket launcher, you will need a sturdy base, a vertical support structure, a launching arm, a release mechanism, and a projectile. You can use materials such as wood, PVC pipes, rubber bands, and a small toy car or ball as the projectile.

4. How can the gravity rocket launcher be used to explore physics concepts?

The gravity rocket launcher can be used to explore concepts such as projectile motion, gravity, and the relationship between launch angle and range. By adjusting the launch angle and initial velocity, students can observe how these factors affect the trajectory and range of the projectile. This can also be used to introduce concepts such as acceleration, velocity, and force.

5. Is the gravity rocket launcher safe to use?

The gravity rocket launcher is generally considered safe to use as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to always supervise children when using the launcher and to ensure that the projectile is not aimed at anyone. It is also recommended to use lightweight and soft projectiles to minimize the risk of injury.