What is the Acceleration of Gravity on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving g and Sin and Cos but is having difficulty. He needs to understand that Sin is opp/hyp, and that Cos is the sine of the opposite angle. He needs to be able to solve for g using the Pythagorean theorem.
Fraktal

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8160/3233q.jpg

Need to show the gravitational acceleration:

[tex]g = g_{0}sin(\theta)\hat{x}-g_{0}cos(\theta)\hat{y}[/tex]

where [itex]g_{0}=9.81ms^{-2}[/itex].

(note that the g, x and y, should all have underbar notations).

Homework Equations

[included within problem statement and solution attempt]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is simple and easy but I seem to have just forgotten how to do trigonometry! :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem? As far as I can see, all you would have to do is plug in the angles, if there is data on it, and to find the magnitude, you would use the pythagorean theorem.

IBY said:
What is the problem?

The diagram is all the information that I am given, and I need to show [itex]g[/itex].

IBY said:
As far as I can see, all you would have to do is plug in the angles, if there is data on it, and to find the magnitude, you would use the pythagorean theorem.

Yes, but I can't figure it out [mindblock] :redface:.

[PLAIN]http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8338/3233q2.jpg

OK so perhaps the simple question should now be.. why is it just the sin component minus the cos component?

.. sorry for sounding stupid about this ..

Sin is opp/hyp, and in this case, opposite is the axis in which the box slides. Hypotenuse is g. If you draw a line between the arrows of g*sin(theta) and g, it forms a right triangle. Theta, in that triangle, is in the bottom left corner because the upper left forms 90-theta, and the right corver is 90. Use the same kind of reasoning with g*cos(theta).

The reason it is minus, by the way, is easy. Which way is the +x direction, and which way is the +y direction?

IBY said:
Sin is opp/hyp, and in this case, opposite is the axis in which the box slides. Hypotenuse is g. If you draw a line between the arrows of g*sin(theta) and g, it forms a right triangle. Theta, in that triangle, is in the bottom left corner because the upper left forms 90-theta, and the right corver is 90. Use the same kind of reasoning with g*cos(theta).

OK so have I understood that correctly? (see diagram and calcs)

[PLAIN]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9889/323qf.jpg

This means:

[tex]sin{\theta} = \frac{gsin{\theta}\hat{x}}{g}[/tex]

[tex]sin{\theta} = \frac{-gcos{\theta}\hat{y}}{g}[/tex]

.. but then don't see where I go from here (if that's even correct).

IBY said:
The reason it is minus, by the way, is easy. Which way is the +x direction, and which way is the +y direction?

yes since taking negative y component and positive x component.

No, on the y component, theta is on the right up, not right down. You got the 90 degrees right. Think about it, the shape of the area of vector x and y is a rectangle. All angles of a rectangle is 90 degrees, which means that if you split the rectangle with a diagonal, you see that the two angers at one corner of the rectangle are 90 degrees. Which means that the other angle is 90-theta. I think it would be helpful if you stuck the two drawings you made above together where g meets for visualization. You will see that it makes no sense for there to be two thetas at the bottom corner.

[PLAIN]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6956/2324q.jpg

Related to What is the Acceleration of Gravity on an Inclined Plane?

1. What is the relationship between gravity and inclined planes?

The force of gravity always acts vertically downwards, but when an object is placed on an inclined plane, the force of gravity can be resolved into two components: one that acts perpendicular to the plane (normal force) and one that acts parallel to the plane (gravitational force). This means that the gravitational force can be "split" into a force that pulls the object down the slope and a force that pushes the object into the plane, creating a net force that causes the object to move down the slope.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force of gravity?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the larger the component of the gravitational force that acts parallel to the plane. This means that the force pulling the object down the slope becomes stronger as the angle of the inclined plane increases, causing the object to accelerate more quickly down the slope.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the object does not affect its motion on an inclined plane. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force of gravity on an object on an inclined plane is independent of its mass, all objects will accelerate down the slope at the same rate.

4. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity on an inclined plane?

The force of gravity on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the gravitational force, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane. This formula takes into account the component of the gravitational force that acts parallel to the plane, which is responsible for the object's motion down the slope.

5. Can an object ever move up an inclined plane against the force of gravity?

Yes, an object can move up an inclined plane against the force of gravity if an external force is applied to overcome the force of gravity. For example, a person walking up a hill is able to move against the force of gravity because they are exerting a force on the ground with their legs, which propels them forward and up the incline.