1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's Theorem not working in this problem HELP

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    I have a problem from line integrals.
    My question is attached as a jpeg.
    Green's theorem is not valid for mine and i couldnot find a way.
    Pls take care of it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2
    Should you show your attempt?

4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

What does the last sentence mean?

5. Jul 22, 2008 #4
    It is just a clue. It goes on with saying this kind of functions can be created without much effort and asks how they are written.
    And unfortunately i don't have much idea how to approach the problem.

6. Jul 22, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

I would say that the hint given is a big one indeed. It would save you a lot of computational effort if you understood it correctly. Have you learnt about potential functions and conservative vector fields yet?

7. Jul 22, 2008 #6
    Actually, i predicted that but could not be sure. Than the answer is 0 since this is a conservative field and surface is a complete circle right?

8. Jul 22, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since Green's theorem does not work here, then you need to directly integrate around the circle. What parameterization can you use for a circle about the origin with radius r?

9. Jul 22, 2008 #8

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yep, that should be it. Although it's more correct to say it's a line integral over a closed curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?