Green's Theorem not working in this problem HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with line integrals and Green's theorem. The person asking the question is having trouble finding a solution and asks for help. They are given a hint about using potential functions and conservative vector fields. There is also a discussion about the correct parameterization for a circle around the origin.
unilquer
I have a problem from line integrals.
My question is attached as a jpeg.
Green's theorem is not valid for mine and i couldnot find a way.
Pls take care of it.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Should you show your attempt?

What does the last sentence mean?
Suppose you have the task of providing such vector fields on demand

It is just a clue. It goes on with saying this kind of functions can be created without much effort and asks how they are written.
And unfortunately i don't have much idea how to approach the problem.

I would say that the hint given is a big one indeed. It would save you a lot of computational effort if you understood it correctly. Have you learned about potential functions and conservative vector fields yet?

Actually, i predicted that but could not be sure. Than the answer is 0 since this is a conservative field and surface is a complete circle right?

Since Green's theorem does not work here, then you need to directly integrate around the circle. What parameterization can you use for a circle about the origin with radius r?

Yep, that should be it. Although it's more correct to say it's a line integral over a closed curve.

1. Why is Green's Theorem not applicable in this problem?

In order for Green's Theorem to be applicable, the problem must involve a closed, simple curve. If the curve is not closed or has self-intersections, then Green's Theorem cannot be used.

2. How can I tell if Green's Theorem is not working in my problem?

If the problem involves a closed, simple curve and Green's Theorem is still not applicable, then it may be because the curve does not satisfy the other conditions of Green's Theorem. These conditions include the curve being continuously differentiable and enclosing a simply connected region.

3. Can Green's Theorem be used for any type of curve?

No, Green's Theorem can only be used for closed, simple curves. Any other type of curve, such as open or self-intersecting curves, will not work with Green's Theorem.

4. Are there any alternative theorems or methods that could be used instead of Green's Theorem?

Yes, there are other theorems and methods that can be used to evaluate line integrals and double integrals. Some alternatives include the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the Divergence Theorem, and the Stoke's Theorem.

5. How can I solve my problem if Green's Theorem cannot be used?

If Green's Theorem is not applicable, you can try using one of the alternative theorems or methods mentioned above. Additionally, you can also try to break the curve into smaller, simpler curves that do satisfy the conditions of Green's Theorem.