Group theory finding order of element and inverse

In summary, the order of the group is 6 and the inverse can be expressed as a^m b^n, where a = sqrt(e) and b = 6th root of e.
vikas92

Homework Statement

Let a and b be elements of a group,with a^2=e , b^6=e and a.b=b^4.a find its order and express its inverse in form of a^m.b^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(ab)^2=(ab)(ab)=(ab)(b^4.a)=a(b^5)a
(ab)^3=a(b^5)a(ab)=a(b^5)(a^2)b=a(b^6)=ae=a
it implies(ab)^6=e
thus order(ab) divides 6.It is not 3 hence it is 6.

Help me in solving second part.I can express inverse in form of b^m.a^n but not in the asked form.

Physics news on Phys.org
you want (ab)^(-1)?

try (b^4a)^(-1)

vikas92 said:

Homework Statement

Let a and b be elements of a group,with a^2=e , b^6=e and a.b=b^4.a find its order and express its inverse in form of a^m.b^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(ab)^2=(ab)(ab)=(ab)(b^4.a)=a(b^5)a
(ab)^3=a(b^5)a(ab)=a(b^5)(a^2)b=a(b^6)=ae=a
it implies(ab)^6=e
thus order(ab) divides 6.It is not 3 hence it is 6.

Help me in solving second part.I can express inverse in form of b^m.a^n but not in the asked form.

(ab)^-1=(b^4 a)^-1 as algebrat has said.

Since you can find (ab)^-1 in the form b^m a^n, you should have no problem expressing (b^4 a)^-1 in the form a^m b^n.

algebrat said:
you want (ab)^(-1)?

try (b^4a)^(-1)

thanks i have got it
if my solution to finding the order of ab correct or not

So you deduced that (ab)^2 = a b^5 a
If you raise that to the third power, you get a b^15 a.

So apparently e= (ab)^6 = a b^15 a.
Also, b^4=e

Hmmm...

a=sqrt(e)

b=6th root of e => a=b^3

=>(ab)=b^4=>(b^4)^(-1)=b^(-1/4)=e^(-1/24)

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. A group is a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

2. How do you find the order of an element in a group?

The order of an element in a group is the smallest positive integer n such that the element raised to the power of n equals the identity element. This can be found by repeatedly applying the group operation to the element until the result is the identity element.

3. What is the inverse of an element in a group?

The inverse of an element in a group is another element that, when combined with the original element using the group operation, results in the identity element. In other words, it "undoes" the original element. Every element in a group has an inverse, and it is unique.

4. How do you find the inverse of an element in a group?

The inverse of an element in a group can be found by using the group's operation to "cancel out" the original element. For example, if the group operation is addition, the inverse of an element x would be -x. If the group operation is multiplication, the inverse of an element x would be 1/x.

5. How is group theory applied in real life?

Group theory has many applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, computer science, and cryptography. For example, in chemistry, group theory is used to study the symmetry of molecules. In physics, it is used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. In computer science, group theory is used in cryptography to create secure communication protocols.