Solving a Group Homework Problem: Finding |G/Z(G)|=20

In summary: No, I can't show that right now. I will try to do that tomorrow. So far I have been able to show that G/Z has a normal subgroup of order 5. I am also trying to find the subgroup of order 4 but I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

I got that|G|=40 and |Z(G)| contains an element of order 2. From Lagrange i know that the order of Z(G) must divide |G| and be a multiple of 2. I am able to do all the cases by the G/Z theorem accept for 1 case. This is the case where |Z(G)|=2. Then I get |G/Z(G)| =20, and I can't use one of the nice theorems like the 2p theorem or the p^2 theorem to get the isomorphism type. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to be slow. What do you want to do?

I got that|G|=40 and |Z(G)| contains an element of order 2. The case I am having trouble us when |Z(G)|=2. Then I get |G/Z(G)| =20, and I can't use one of the nice theorems like the 2p theorem or the p^2 theorem to get the isomorphism type. i am trying to find the isomorphism type in this situation, I think it is D10 but i am not sure

So am I right in thinking you were trying to find all possible homomorphic images of G/Z(G) given |G|=40 and Z(G) contains an element of order 2, and now you just need to find all homomorphic images given |G|=40 and |Z(G)|=2? (I'm not familiar with the term isomorphism type, but since you say it may be D10, I am guessing youre talking about G/Z(G) "up to isomorphism".)

And have you done anything about Sylow's theorems yet?

Still not sure if we're looking at possible structures for G or G/Z (I think it's one or other), but I have to go to bed now. No doubt some kind soul will take over, otherwise I'll have a look tomorrow.

Were looking at possible structures for G/Z. The proble is that 20 factors to 2*2*5 but we don't know if are order 20 group G/Z is D10, or a Z10+Z2 ect

Exactly.

So the first thing, I think, would be to determine all possible groups of order 20. After that you will need to check for each of them whether they are G/Z for some possible G of order 40 with |Z(G)|=2. (Obviously for a candidate G20 with 20 elements, the group Z2xG20 will have G20 as a homomorphic image, but it could also have a centre larger than 2.)

Can you show first that G/Z has a normal subgroup of order 5 and a subgroup of order 4? (If you also explain your reasoning here I can guess better what you may have covered so far in your course, hence what we might reasonably use in the analysis.)

What is the definition of G/Z(G)?

G/Z(G) is the quotient group of G by the center Z(G), which consists of all elements that commute with every other element in G.

Why is finding |G/Z(G)|=20 important?

Finding |G/Z(G)|=20 is important because it tells us the size of the quotient group, which can give us insights into the structure and properties of the original group G.

What is the significance of having |G/Z(G)|=20?

Having |G/Z(G)|=20 means that there are exactly 20 cosets in the quotient group G/Z(G). This provides information about the normal subgroups and factor groups of G, and can help us understand the relationships between different elements in G.

How do I solve for |G/Z(G)|=20?

To solve for |G/Z(G)|=20, you need to first find the center Z(G) of the group G. Then, you need to determine the number of distinct cosets in G/Z(G) by using the coset decomposition theorem. Finally, you can count the number of cosets to find the size of the quotient group.

What are the common methods for finding |G/Z(G)|=20?

There are various methods for finding |G/Z(G)|=20, such as using the coset decomposition theorem, using the First Isomorphism Theorem, or using the properties of the center Z(G) and the order of G. It is important to choose the method that best suits the given problem and the properties of the group G.