Guass's Law for a charge distribution

In summary, the question is about whether the E-field of a charge distribution should involve little r or big R in the example of finding the E-field of a long cylindrical charge distribution. The answer is that it only depends on the charges enclosed by the gaussian surface, so the correct answer is the one involving 'r'. The questioner was initially confused about whether the entire cylinder or just the gaussian cylinder should be considered in finding the volume and charge.
Demon117
First, this is not a homework question, just something I've been confused about for some time. I understand how to use Guass's law in many ways but one thing I have always stumbled with is whether the E-field of a charge distribution should involve little r or big R in such an example:

In finding the E-field of a long cylindrical charge distribution with radius R and a uniform charge density [itex]\rho[/itex]. If I want to find the E-field inside (r<R) such a distribution shouldn't the final answer contain a big R?

Here is my work. Since we have cylindrical symmetry we can consider a guassian cylinder of radius r inside about the cylindrical axis. The total charge Q is given by [itex]Q=\rho V[/itex] where V is the volume of the entire cylinder correct? (This is where I get confused) Or just the Guassian cylinder?

If the entire cylinder then the volume is [itex]V=\pi R^{2}L[/itex], where L is the length of the cylindrical volume. Then working out the rest of the problem we have:

[itex]\oint EdA=E(2\pi r)L = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_{0}} = \frac{\rho \pi R^{2}L}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]
[itex]E = \frac{\rho R^2}{2 \epsilon_{0} r}[/itex]

If the Guassian cylinder then the volume is [itex]V=\pi r^{2}L[/itex], then the E-field is just:

[itex]E = \frac{\rho r}{2 \epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

Do you see my confusion? I need to understand this and I think it is just geometrical issue. . .

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be aware of a very important aspect of Gauss's Law - that the field at any point r depends ONLY on the charges enclosed by the surface of size r (under highly symmetric situation). The charges outside the surface do not contribute to the E-field.

So in your example, you could have R = infinity if you wish, and you still have the same expression for the E-field, because it only cares about the amount of charges enclosed by your gaussian surface.

Zz.

It's the Gaussian cylinder. Otherwise, there is no point to making the Gaussian surface in the first place.

If you're confident you've done it right, you have to believe the results which you get!

Last edited:
According to the Gauss's Law, Q is the charge inside the gaussian surface. So, the 2nd answer involving 'r' is right.

1. What is Gauss's Law for a charge distribution?

Gauss's Law for a charge distribution is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How is Gauss's Law applied to a charge distribution?

To apply Gauss's Law to a charge distribution, a closed surface is chosen such that the electric field is perpendicular to the surface at every point. The total electric flux through this surface is then calculated and equated to the total charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the mathematical expression for Gauss's Law?

The mathematical expression for Gauss's Law is ∮S E · dA = Qenc0, where ∮S represents the closed surface integral, E is the electric field, dA is the differential area element, Qenc is the total charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. Can Gauss's Law be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field for any charge distribution as long as the distribution has some symmetry. This symmetry allows for the simplification of the integral and makes the calculation of the electric field easier.

5. What is the significance of Gauss's Law in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law is significant in electromagnetism because it relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It is a fundamental law that helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields and charges. It is also used in many practical applications, such as designing electronic circuits and analyzing the behavior of electric fields in different materials.