Can You Bring the Laughs? GURU Awards Approaching!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the upcoming Guru Awards and the lack of humor among members. There were suggestions for more fun and frivolity, and some members even offered to bribe others for nominations. The topic of humor and whether it is innate or influenced by environment was also discussed. Some members were serious about the awards, while others joked about it. In the end, there were mentions of strong contenders for the Funniest Member Award and a humorous reference to a survey on how people spend their time.
with this new lack of standards you just might. congratulations. I'd say your nun like appearance might be enough to have the ballot counting lean in your favor

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
AHA! So you *did* just return to try to regain your title. :grumpy:
Do you realize that none of the new members for most of the year even knew there was a "funniest member" because you disappeared? BAAAD DOG!
I don't think last year's winners should be eligible to run again, spread the love, let others have a chance to win. :smile:
no, actually I came back because I finally got out of a rotten situation and was feeling happy for the first time in a long time and when I'm happy I think of PF and this is where I wanted to be. I wanted to be around you. I was happy and sharing my good feelings with you makes me feel even better. I said "I wasn't going to run for a second ribbon.i" (although I didn't know I didn't get to keep the first one) if it was going to cause a problem.
but no, it wouldn't be a problem and quite a few people said it was between me and Danger and I started thinking about winning again and I started getting excited about it, and you could have said something about your decision a long time ago.
I'll forget everything if you tell me you love me and give me your phone number.

also, I don't think previous winners should be disqualified. I think the best should win as long as they are the best.

Ever heard of Lance Armstrong? Ever heard of the guy who won the first Tour de France?

tribdog said:
...artman sometimes comes up with something extremely funny, but when he bombs it is just as extreme.
Are you underestimating my ability to bomb? :grumpy:

poor old tribdog, i won't comment on who deserves the funniest member award but he certainly deserves a shoulder to cry on.

tribdog said:
Ever heard of Lance Armstrong? Ever heard of the guy who won the first Tour de France?
Lance Armstrong won an unprecedented 7th Tour de France, and did so consecutively from 1999 to 2005.

But to win one has to enter the contest and participate. :biggrin:

Incidentally, the winner of the first Tour de France was Maurice GARIN in 1903. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I should probably clarify one thing here. I'm not in fact attempting to win anything. If an opportunity for a humourous comment presents itself, I'll take my best shot at it, but I don't actively go out of my way to be funny. The ribbon should probably go to someone who is more dedicated to it.

Looks like Danger doesn't want it, and tribdog can't compete because of some silly rule, so I guess we might as well not even have one!

I still think we should get the option of a write-in, and also a none of the above :smile:

Astronuc said:
Lance Armstrong won an unprecedented 7th Tour de France, and did so consecutively from 1999 to 2005.
Incidentally, the winner of the first Tour de France was Maurice GARIN in 1903. :biggrin:
I was lucky enough to see the last stage of the Tour de France. Check out his picture.
a100_1146.jpg

BOooo! The French are wuses!

Wusses? Check out his lateral gastrocnemius! :!)

honestrosewater said:
Wusses? Check out his lateral gastrocnemius! :!)
I love it when women talk dirty. :tongue2: :biggrin:

Danger said:
I should probably clarify one thing here. I'm not in fact attempting to win anything. If an opportunity for a humourous comment presents itself, I'll take my best shot at it, but I don't actively go out of my way to be funny...
I agree with this. Sometimes I do go a little out of my way to be funny...okay, writing a bunch of song lyrics to tease a guy complaining about getting too much sex, writing hundreds of posts in the The Thread Killer Champions thread, posting a bunch of captions for photos... okay I often go out of my way, but it is because I like the be humorous. I don't care if I win anything or not. However, it is an honor to be nominated.

Danger said:
I I don't actively go out of my way to be funny.
and it shows, but that's beside the point.
I don't go out of my way to be funny either.PF is my home page so it really isn't out of my way. I do think of myself as the comedian of PF and I get a lot of comments and emails telling me how funny I am which may have gone to my head, but I've been this way for a long time and Losing the ribbon is like losing my job. I suppose I'll learn to live without the ribbon, and if Greg wants to make me a Comedy Mentor that would be fine too and would probably aid in my recovery

In case you guys didn't notice, hypatia already won this year's funniest member award. :biggrin:

Nominees still chocolate haven't been decided. chocolate

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/images/aboutus_pictures/aboutus_GodivaSlice.jpg

If sex and chocolate sell...heres a cheesecake photo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have a winner! Congratulations, Hypatia!
*throws confetti at Hypatia*

Have you noticed that mentors' titles are 'PF mentor' sometimes but then it changed to 'Super mentor' again!:bugeye: At first I thought we were going to have 'mentors' and 'super mentors'. I mean kind of promotion for mentors!

Danger said:
I should probably clarify one thing here. I'm not in fact attempting to win anything. If an opportunity for a humourous comment presents itself, I'll take my best shot at it, but I don't actively go out of my way to be funny. The ribbon should probably go to someone who is more dedicated to it.
For a long time I thought "You're funny" is a kind of insult!:tongue: I still can't understand why some people around here want to have "the funniest member" ribbon.:eek::tongue2: It would be a lot better, if they changed it to "the wittiest member" or "the most humorist member".

Wow! A woman won. That's great. Congrats to hypatia, although I can't remember when we vote for the gurus! :bugeye:

Evo said:
In case you guys didn't notice, hypatia already won this year's funniest member award. :biggrin:

I thought MIH tied with hypatia with the comment:

<drags lint roller over Moonbear's piece of cake> :rofl:

That was a good one.

The guys need to get busy. I think MIH and hypatia are way out in front.

How can anyone top ballistic lo mein?

Astronuc said:
MIH and hypatia are way out in front.
It would appear that way, but I suspect those are implants.

Hey, there's a forum for this now! :eek:

yomamma said:
Yep, voting should open tomorrow and last for a week. We're just rigging...er...I mean setting up the polls now. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I thought MIH tied with hypatia with the comment:
<drags lint roller over Moonbear's piece of cake>
That WAS a good one! :biggrin:

I'm not even sure what the final list is. If you didn't make it on the list this year, it was probably extremely close, that's all I can say. Moonbear and I are so proud of everyone here.

P.S. That extra pound of chocolate could have made the difference. :uhh:

yomamma said:

The forum will be open at midnight tonight, maybe even earlier if everyone plays nice... and sends me an xbox 360 for xmas :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
The forum will be open at midnight tonight, maybe even earlier if everyone plays nice... and sends me an xbox 360 for xmas :biggrin:
:cool: Is that 12 EST?

mattmns said:
:cool: Is that 12 EST?
I think Greg is on central time. You'll have to wait an extra hour.

meh. i know when I am not wanted

I am going to make the guess that more than 50% of the people who will win will be at the top of the list :smile:

Smurf and yomamma on the funny list? :confused:

Greg Bernhardt said:
this 360 is way overrated. I mean, it's cool, but I'm just not into it. You can have mine if you want it oh wait, I'm not on the list am I? Nevermind

tribdog said:
this 360 is way overrated. I mean, it's cool, but I'm just not into it. You can have mine if you want it oh wait, I'm not on the list am I? Nevermind

Yeah, what's with that? You slacker, you didn't even make the funny list.

franznietzsche said:
Yeah, what's with that? You slacker, you didn't even make the funny list.
There is more to life than being funny. I'm just glad I've still got sexy and well-hung on my list of personal adjectives.

tribdog said:
There is more to life than being funny. I'm just glad I've still got sexy and well-hung on my list of personal adjectives.

Well...I don't seem to be able to come up with a non-ban-worthy joke for that.

That said, I still show people that thread about you welding the soda bottle to the carpet for laughs. Still funny.