Half pipe with friction in the middle

In summary: You have successfully summarized the conversation in a clear and concise manner. In summary, the conversation discusses a half pipe with a friction coefficient and a frictionless section. The question at hand is how many times a skateboarder can go back and forth before stopping. The conversation explores the concept of energy and friction and ultimately concludes that the skateboarder can make 10 passes before stopping.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

Consider a half pipe of height L. The middle section, non sloping part, has a friction coefficient of ##\mu_k = 0.1## and frictionless every where else. The length of this section is L. How many times can the skateboarder go back and forth before he stops?

Homework Equations

##\sum\mathbf{F} = m\mathbf{a}##

The Attempt at a Solution

In the friction section,
$$
\sum F_x = v_x - F_f = v_x - .1N
$$
since ##F_f = \mu_k N##.
For the frictionless section, we would have (not sure about this part)
\begin{align}
F_y &= mg\cos(\theta)\\
F_x &= mg\sin(\theta)
\end{align}
Not sure how to determine how many times the skateboarder can go back and forth.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think of it in terms of energy -- assuming he starts at the top of the half pipe, he has some potential energy, and then friction is going to take some away each time he passes across the middle section.

So you could say that:
$$\Delta E_{skateboarder} = -W_{friction}$$
And then it should be fairly straightforward.

jackarms said:
I would think of it in terms of energy -- assuming he starts at the top of the half pipe, he has some potential energy, and then friction is going to take some away each time he passes across the middle section.

So you could say that:
$$\Delta E_{skateboarder} = -W_{friction}$$
And then it should be fairly straightforward.

If I use the conservation of energy, I have
$$
mgL = mgh_2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2
$$
where I assumed the skateboarder started from rest.
Then what would I do?

Last edited:
Well, it won't exactly be conservation of energy -- think of it like this: if there was no friction, and the skateboarder started from rest at the top of the half pipe, then he could just go back and forth forever since his total energy (combined kinetic and potential) wouldn't change. But with friction, it will suck a bit of energy away each time he passes over the middle, so eventually his energy will become zero and so he will stop crossing over the middle. So think about how much energy friction is going to absorb each time, and then compare that to the energy he starts with.

jackarms said:
Well, it won't exactly be conservation of energy -- think of it like this: if there was no friction, and the skateboarder started from rest at the top of the half pipe, then he could just go back and forth forever since his total energy (combined kinetic and potential) wouldn't change. But with friction, it will suck a bit of energy away each time he passes over the middle, so eventually his energy will become zero and so he will stop crossing over the middle. So think about how much energy friction is going to absorb each time, and then compare that to the energy he starts with.

So the energy is
$$
mg(L-h_2) - \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 = .1
$$
and he started with ##mgL##.
If this is correct, I am not sure what to do next.

Last edited:
Dustinsfl said:
So the energy is
$$
mg(L-h_2) - \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 = .1
$$
and he started with ##mgL##.
If this is correct, I am not sure what to do next.
How much energy does he lose each time he crosses the flat part?

So it seems like the KE leaving the other side of the red line is equal to the KE(in) - .1KE(in)=.9KE(in). So KE(out)=.9KE(in)? Does this imply that there is an infinite amount of "back and fourths." It seems like it would be 0 (and thus stopping) at inifinity.

Edward Folts said:
KE(in) - .1KE(in)
That's not how friction works. It isn't taking 10% of the KE each traverse.
What equations do you know for the magnitude of kinetic friction and the work it does?

Well the magnitude of the force of kinetic friction (not sure if I'm saying that correctly) would be (.1) * F(normal) = .1mg? and then the work done by it would be .1mLg?...If this is right I am going to face palm so hard...

So with each pass, the skateboarder loses .1mgL worth of his/her kinetic energy. So there will be "x" passes until the KE is zero. So the initial KE energy going into the friction portion of the half pipe is mgL= (1/2)mv^2. And with each pass we subtrct .1mgL. So we have the equation (1/2)mv^2-.1mgL=0. And solving for x yields ((1/2)mv^2)/.1mgL = x = (mgL)/(.1mgL) = 10. So 10 passes?

Edward Folts said:
So with each pass, the skateboarder loses .1mgL worth of his/her kinetic energy. So there will be "x" passes until the KE is zero. So the initial KE energy going into the friction portion of the half pipe is mgL= (1/2)mv^2. And with each pass we subtrct .1mgL. So we have the equation (1/2)mv^2-.1mgL=0. And solving for x yields ((1/2)mv^2)/.1mgL = x = (mgL)/(.1mgL) = 10. So 10 passes?
Well done.

FAQ: Half pipe with friction in the middle

1. What is a half pipe with friction in the middle?

A half pipe with friction in the middle is a skateboarding or snowboarding ramp that has a flat section in the middle with a rough surface, such as sandpaper or grip tape, to provide friction and slow down the speed of the rider.

2. How does the friction in the middle of the half pipe affect the ride?

The friction in the middle of the half pipe creates resistance against the wheels or snowboard, which reduces the speed of the rider. This allows for more control and stability while performing tricks and maneuvers.

3. Why is friction added to a half pipe?

Friction is added to a half pipe to create a safer and more controlled riding experience. Without friction, the rider could potentially gain too much speed and lose control, increasing the risk of injury.

4. Can you adjust the amount of friction in a half pipe?

Yes, the amount of friction in a half pipe can be adjusted by changing the material of the flat section or by adding or removing grip tape. This allows for customization to fit the preferences of different riders.

5. Are there any other benefits to having friction in the middle of a half pipe?

Aside from providing safety and control, friction in the middle of a half pipe can also help train and improve a rider's balance and technique. The added resistance challenges the rider to adjust their movements and become more precise in their tricks.

Back