How Does Reversing the Diode Affect a Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit?

In summary, the problem involves finding the average value of Vo and the PIV of a half wave rectifier circuit with a reversed diode. The equation given in the textbook for the average value of Vo is (1/pi)Vs - (Vd/2), but it was not explained. The poster made an educated guess and said Vo,avg = (1/pi)Vs + (Vd/2). They also stated that PIV = -Vs since the rectifier only works on the negative part of the input sinusoid. They are unsure if their solution is correct and are seeking help.
sumtingwong

Homework Statement

Given a Half wave rectifier circuit with the diode reversed . Vs is a sinusoid with 12 V peak , R = 1.5 ohms Vd = 0.7 V
find the average Value of Vo , and the PIV of the Diode .

Homework Equations

average Value of Vo = (1/pi)Vs - (Vd/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated Vo for circuit and got Vo = (0.7 + Vs) for Vs < -0.7 and Vo = 0 for Vs > -0.7
now i have no idea how to calculate the average value, the equation stated above was just given in the textbook with no explanation as to how they got it, but i did take an educated guess and said Vo,avg = (1/pi)Vs + (Vd/2), also i said that PIV = -Vs since this rectifier rectifies only the negative part of the input sinusoid. am i on the right track ? thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one wants to help?

1. What is a half wave rectifier circuit?

A half wave rectifier circuit is an electronic circuit that converts an alternating current (AC) into a pulsating direct current (DC) by utilizing a single diode. It allows the positive half of the AC signal to pass through while blocking the negative half.

2. What is the purpose of a half wave rectifier circuit?

The purpose of a half wave rectifier circuit is to convert AC power into DC power. This is commonly used in electronic devices to power them and make them function properly.

3. How does a half wave rectifier circuit work?

A half wave rectifier circuit works by using a diode to block the negative half of the AC signal while allowing the positive half to pass through. This results in a pulsating DC output that can be used to power electronic devices.

4. What are the advantages of using a half wave rectifier circuit?

Some advantages of using a half wave rectifier circuit include its simplicity, low cost, and ability to convert AC to DC with a single diode. It also has a high efficiency, making it a popular choice in many electronic devices.

5. What are the limitations of a half wave rectifier circuit?

One main limitation of a half wave rectifier circuit is its low output voltage and high ripple factor, which can affect the performance of electronic devices. It also cannot convert AC power to a stable and smooth DC output, unlike a full wave rectifier circuit.