1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hall Effect data

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am doing research in Hall Mobility and Half-heusler compounds.

I've taken some data on several samples now and I am kind of perplexed. We use a very stable magnetic field between -.6 Tesla and .6 Tesla to do the measurements.

Currently we take data points at intervals of .1 tesla to acquire a line of Magnetic Field vs. Resistance (or voltage since Current is held constant). And for the most part we take the slope of that line to get a "B / R" ratio and then calculate the carrier concentration.

Most of the samples have run smoothly and we've gotten linear data, but a few of the samples are returning Parabolic data.

This meaning that we start at .6 Tesla and go to -.6 Tesla in .1 Tesla increments. Taking data at each point.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2230/graph3t.png" [Broken]

We are also using a Van der pauw geometry instead of bar geometry (due to the shape of the samples that are made).

my question is, What does a parabolic curve mean for Hall effect data. I thought it should be mostly linear.

If you need any more info that I've left out, just ask I should be able to tell you. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted