Hard Drive Failure: Is Power Cut Risky?

In summary, when your electricity cuts out completely, it's possible that this could damage your hard drive. If your computer has a master boot record, this could also lead to data corruption.
username
Sometimes my electricity cuts out completely when I am running win2k pro (pesky coin meter) do you think this could damage a harddrive attached to my system, I have had one master boot go down on me already?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know if it could lead to hard drive failure but certainly the risk of data corruption exists. When you talk about having a master boot go down I assume you mean the boot.ini file wasn't found upon rebooting of the computer? This would be an instance of data corruption rather than hard drive failure.

This could definitely damage a hard drive. A hard drive is a magnetic metal disk (usually several, I believe) that spins. It holds all your data with a system of on and off switches known as bits. There are pieces called "heads" inside your hard drive that read from the magnetic disk. They don't touch the disk, but come very close to touching it. When you cut power to your pc, these heads are left off the disk surface. Your hard drive can get damaged seriously if it is bumped hard in this condition. When you actually shut down your pc the proper way, the heads lock into grooves specifically made for them so that the hard drive can handle more abuse before failure. I don't know if everything in there is correct, but that's pretty close to correct.

Yeah sounds about right, I guess there can be no fail safe if the harddrive has no internal power supply. Wonder if there is some sort of cheap internal ups system you can link up in series with the hd's power supply.

I don't know if it could lead to hard drive failure but certainly the risk of data corruption exists. When you talk about having a master boot go down I assume you mean the boot.ini file wasn't found upon rebooting of the computer? This would be an instance of data corruption rather than hard drive failure.

I think the hardware error caused the software error so to speak. The drive was making all sorts of funny noises and did not show up in bios :/ lucky I keep a backup os on a spare disk. Eventually got it work again and using data recovery tools etc I got most of my important data of it before thowing it away. Good few days down the pooper and a lot of sweating though.

edit: Thanks for the above post will check out the links

Last edited:
Seagate hardrive is lousy, bad sectors developed into multi-megabytes after a few months use.
MAxtor or WD is better.

1. What is hard drive failure?

Hard drive failure occurs when a computer's hard drive, which is responsible for storing and retrieving data, becomes unable to function properly. This can be caused by various factors, including physical damage, software errors, or power outages.

2. Is power cut a common cause of hard drive failure?

Yes, power cuts or sudden loss of power can be a common cause of hard drive failure. When a computer suddenly loses power, the hard drive can be damaged if it was in the middle of a read or write operation. This can lead to data corruption and potentially render the hard drive unusable.

3. Can power cuts be avoided to prevent hard drive failure?

While power cuts cannot always be avoided, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of hard drive failure. Investing in a reliable surge protector or uninterruptible power supply (UPS) can help protect your computer and hard drive from sudden power outages.

4. What are the signs of hard drive failure?

Some common signs of hard drive failure include slow performance, frequent crashes or freezes, strange noises coming from the hard drive, and error messages when trying to access files. It is important to back up important data regularly to prevent loss in the event of hard drive failure.

5. Can a power cut damage my hard drive even if my computer is turned off?

Yes, a power cut can still cause damage to a hard drive even if the computer is turned off. This is because the hard drive is still connected to the power source and can be affected by sudden power surges or fluctuations. It is recommended to unplug the computer and any other electronic devices during a power cut to prevent potential damage.