Hard Limit Problem: Damped Harmonic Oscillator

• Thread starter Eric_meyers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Limit
In summary, the solution to the damped harmonic oscillator equation becomes x(t) = x0e^(-(nu)t/2) as (nu) approaches 2w0, but further investigation is needed to verify its validity for this specific limit.
Eric_meyers

Homework Statement

"Demonstrate that in the limit (nu)---> 2w0 the solution to the damped harmonic oscillator equation becomes x(t) = (x0 + [v0 +(nu/2)x0]t)e^(-(nu)t/2)

Homework Equations

Solution to damped harmonic oscillator equation; x(t) = a*e^(-(nu)t/2)cos(w1t - (theta))

Where a = [x0^2 + (v0 + (nu)x0/2)^2/w1^2]1/2 and

(theta) = tan^-1((v0 + (nu)x0/2)/w1x0)

and w1^2 = w0^2 - (nu)^2/4

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged (nu) ---> 2w0 into my equations and got ...

x0^2 + [(v0 + w0x0)^2)/(w0^2 - w0^2)]^1/2 * e^(-w0t) * cos (-tan^-1 (( v0 + w0x0)/((w0^2-w0^2)^1/2*x0))

and I note that the divide by 0 in my tan inverse goes to infinity which equals pi/2 and the cos of pi/2 is 0

but then before my e term I have (w0^2 - w0^2) on the denominator which means that's going to infinity... so I have one part going to 0 and one part going to infinity...

and I don't know how to deal with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first verifying that the given solution is indeed a valid solution to the damped harmonic oscillator equation. I would also check if the limit (nu) ---> 2w0 is physically meaningful and if it is within the range of applicability for the equation.

Assuming that the given solution is correct and the limit is valid, I would then analyze the behavior of each term in the solution as (nu) approaches 2w0. For example, as you mentioned, the term (v0 + (nu)x0/2) in the numerator of the expression for a goes to infinity, while the denominator (w1) also goes to infinity. This suggests that the limit of a is indeterminate and requires further investigation.

Next, I would consider the behavior of the cosine term in the solution. As (nu) approaches 2w0, the argument of the cosine function becomes (-tan^-1 (infinity)), which can be rewritten as (-pi/2). This means that the cosine term approaches 0, which is consistent with the solution given in the forum post.

Finally, I would consider the overall behavior of the solution as (nu) approaches 2w0. Since the cosine term goes to 0 and the exponential term goes to infinity, the overall behavior of the solution depends on the behavior of the term in the parentheses [x0 + (v0 + (nu)x0/2)t]. This term approaches x0 as (nu) approaches 2w0, which means that the solution approaches x(t) = x0e^(-(nu)t/2), which is similar to the given solution but without the additional term in the parentheses.

Overall, the behavior of the solution as (nu) approaches 2w0 suggests that the solution may not be valid for this specific limit. It is possible that the equation is only applicable for a certain range of (nu) values and the given limit falls outside of that range. I would recommend further investigation and possibly consulting with other experts in the field to determine the validity of this solution for the given limit.

As (nu) approaches 2w0, the damped harmonic oscillator equation becomes more and more heavily damped, resulting in a decrease in amplitude and a shift in phase angle. This can be seen in the solution provided, where the amplitude is directly affected by (nu) and the phase angle is affected by both (nu) and w0. As (nu) approaches 2w0, the amplitude decreases to 0 and the phase angle approaches pi/2, resulting in a solution of x(t) = 0. This is expected in heavily damped systems, where the oscillations eventually die out completely. The fact that the denominator in the phase angle goes to infinity is not an issue, as it is multiplied by a term that goes to 0, resulting in a well-defined limit. Therefore, the solution provided is a valid representation of the damped harmonic oscillator equation in the limit as (nu) approaches 2w0.

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium, but also experiences damping due to an external force that reduces its amplitude over time.

2. What is the hard limit problem in a damped harmonic oscillator?

The hard limit problem in a damped harmonic oscillator refers to the difficulty in accurately predicting the system's behavior when it reaches its maximum amplitude or "hard limit". This is due to the non-linear nature of the damping force, which causes the system to behave differently at this point compared to when it is within its normal amplitude range.

3. How does the damping coefficient affect the hard limit problem?

The damping coefficient determines the strength of the damping force in a damped harmonic oscillator. A higher damping coefficient will cause the system to reach its hard limit quicker, making the hard limit problem more prominent. On the other hand, a lower damping coefficient will result in a more gradual approach to the hard limit, potentially reducing the impact of the hard limit problem.

4. What are some solutions to the hard limit problem in a damped harmonic oscillator?

One solution to the hard limit problem is to use more sophisticated mathematical models that take into account the non-linear behavior of the damping force. Another approach is to use physical mechanisms, such as a mechanical stop, to prevent the system from reaching its hard limit. Additionally, adjusting the damping coefficient can also help mitigate the effects of the hard limit problem.

5. How does the hard limit problem affect real-world systems?

In real-world systems, the hard limit problem can lead to unpredictable behavior and potential damage to the system. For example, in mechanical systems, the hard limit problem can cause parts to break or wear down quicker. In electrical circuits, it can result in power surges or equipment failure. Therefore, it is important for engineers and scientists to understand and account for the hard limit problem in their designs and calculations.