1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard RLC Series Circuit

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An RLC circuits consists of R1 a 10-ohm resistor, R2 a resistor that takes 50 W, C1 a capacitor with 5-ohm reactance, and L1 an inductor that takes 100 var. Find the value of R1, R2, and Xl (inductive reactance).

2. Relevant equations

P = (I^2)R
    Xc = 1/(2∏fC)
    Xl = 2∏fL
    Z = √(R^2 + XeqL^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried equating the currents but I don't know what to do next. I tried to solve for the equivalent impedance but without the frequency of the source, my efforts were futile. Perhaps I could assume a frequency of 60 Hz?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
    Is this parallel or series RLC?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    I forgot to mention, this is connected in SERIES. I'm sorry

5. Dec 23, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think we need another clue, such as the line voltage, or that the load has unity power factor.

By assuming a current, I, in all the elements I can find the voltage across each in terms of that I, but that's as far as I can get without more information.

6. Dec 24, 2011 #5
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention the line voltage. 100 Vac. But the frequency was not given, how do I start attacking this problem?

7. Dec 24, 2011 #6

NascentOxygen

Forgot?! :frown: :mad:

Start by drawing a large schematic, and mark on the quantities you are given for each element.

Assume a branch current, I, and using what you are told about each element, determine the voltage across that particular element in terms of I. The only unknown on the right-hand side of each equation will be I, any other terms on the right-hand side will be known numbers that you can work out from the information provided.

You do not need to know the line frequency.

Good luck!

8. Dec 24, 2011 #7

Thanks Sir NascentOxygen!

I was not thinking of KVL that's why I'm having a hard time in this problem. :shy: I'm sorry

My attempt:

100 V = IR1 + IXc + IR2 + IXL

but:
    P = VR2I
    VR2 = 50/I

P = I2XL
    XL = 100/I2

so:

100 = 10I + 5I + 50/I + 100/I

Solving for I, I got two values I = 4.39 and I = 2.28, which value should I choose?

9. Dec 24, 2011 #8

Thanks Sir NascentOxygen!

I was not thinking of KVL that's why I'm having a hard time in this problem. :shy: I'm sorry

My attempt:

100 = IR1 + IXc + IR2 + IXL

but:
    P = VR2I
    VR2 = 50/I

P = I2XL
    XL = 100/I2

so:

100 = 10I + 5I + 50/I + 100/I

Solving for I, I got two values I = 4.39 and I = 2.28, which value should I choose?

10. Dec 25, 2011 #9

NascentOxygen

That's a good start, but we distinguish resistance from reactance by associating an angle with reactance. So the equation above needs to be fixed to include this. There are a couple of ways to represent angle, use whichever you like to correct the above equation.

yes

What law did you rely on here?

11. Dec 26, 2011 #10
    I don't quite understand sir. Would you please elaborate?

12. Dec 26, 2011 #11

NascentOxygen

We write VL for an inductor as [itex]{\color{Blue} {j I X_{L}}} \text{ or as } {\color{Blue}{IX_{L} \angle 90^{\circ}}}\text{ where } X_{L} [/itex] is the magnitude of the inductive reactance.

And something similar for the voltage across a capacitor. Then addition of voltages takes the form of addition of vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook