Hard sequence queston (calculus)

In summary: But the theorem says there is a lower bound and an upper bound that are both controlled by L and M. You should be able to get |an-L|<e from lim an->L.
eibon

Homework Statement

if {An} converges and lim {An}=L L[tex]\neq[/tex] 0
and {Bn} diverges then does {An X Nn} diverge? prove formally

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG2.jpg

can anyone give me a hint or show a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Examine the sequences:
[tex]
a_{n}=1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}},\quad b_{n}=n
[/tex]

i don't see how that helps

You'll probably find it easier to organize your proof as a proof by contradiction. Assume {a_n*b_n} converges, say to M, and a_n converges to a nonzero L. Can you show that means b_n would converge to M/L?

yeah i thought of proof by contradiction to day, but i end up getting (M/(L+[tex]\epsilon[/tex]1)) < Bn< (m+[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2)/L

and how do you get it converges to M/L? do i need to let epsilon = something?

Last edited:
L<An<L +[tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{L +epsilon}[/tex] <[tex]\frac{1}{An}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{1}{L}[/tex]

and M<AnBn<M+ε

then i get [tex]\frac{M}{L+epsilon}[/tex] <Bn< [tex]\frac{M+epsilon}{L}[/tex]

now what do i do?

Last edited:
eibon said:
L<An<L +[tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\leftrightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{L +epsilon}[/tex] <[tex]\frac{1}{An}[/tex] < [tex]\frac{1}{L}[/tex]

and M<AnBn<M+ε

then i get [tex]\frac{M}{L+epsilon}[/tex] <Bn< [tex]\frac{M+epsilon}{L}[/tex]

now what do i do?

You could stop being so sloppy for one thing. What you actually want to say is for every e>0 there is an N such that for all n>N, L-e<=An<=L+e. Now if you pick e small enough so that L-e>0 (assuming L>0) then you can say 1/(L+e)<=1/An<=1/(L-e). Same sort of thing for An*Bn. Finally you want to show that you can make |Bn-M/L| as small as you want by picking e small enough. You could skip all of this epsilon-delta business if you have a theorem that says if an->A and bn->B and B is nonzero then an/bn->A/B.

wait how do you get to |Bn-M/L|<e?

eibon said:
wait how do you get to |Bn-M/L|<e?

You write down an expression like ...<Bn<... and subtract M/L. Then take the absolute value and show you can make the upper and lower bounds as small as you want. Are you sure you don't have a theorem about the quotient of limits?

so some thing like this?
and for the quotient of limits you need both An and Bn to converge to use that, but Bn does not converge so i can't use that
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
No. For one thing |an-L|<e becomes L-e<an<L+e. It doesn't imply L<an. And choosing your epsilons to be L and M doesn't help at all. One more time with the question, you don't have a theorem about lim an/bn when lim bn is not zero?

for the quotient of limits you need both An and Bn to converge to use that, but Bn does not converge so i can't use that. and i don't understand how to get the upper and lower bounds, can you please explain it?

eibon said:
for the quotient of limits you need both An and Bn to converge to use that, but Bn does not converge so i can't use that. and i don't understand how to get the upper and lower bounds, can you please explain it?

|An-L|<e means -e<An-L<e. And if you have the limit of quotients theorem, apply it to an*bn/an. The numerator and denominator of that both converge if you are assuming an*bn->M. Applying the theorem will save you from all this epsilon monkey business, which you don't seem to have a very good handle on. No offense.

then is this right ?
and that says DNE not one in the picture

IMG4.jpg

That's basically it. You should maybe mention you can apply the theorem because lim (an)=L and L is not zero.

ok thanks , just out of curiosity how would you prove it with epsilons

is this right using epsilons?

Untitled.jpg

Use reductio ad absurdum.

please explain how you would do the contradiction

1. If [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}{\{a_{n}\}} = L, \; L \neq 0[/itex] show that, starting from some [itex]n_{0}[/itex], [itex]|a_{n}| > 0, \forall n \ge n_{0}[/itex];

2. Assume the opposite is true, namely [itex]c_{n} \equiv a_{b} \, b_{n}[/itex] converges;

3. Because of 1, it makes sense to define the sequence [itex]c_{n}/a_{n}, \; \forall n \ge n_{0}[/itex]. Because both [itex]\{a_{n}\}[/itex] and [itex]\{c_{n}\}[/itex] are convergent, what can we say about their quotient?

that the quotient converges

And what's their quotient by the way [itex]\{c_{n}\}[/itex] was originally defined? Is this in accordance with the conditions originally given in the problem?

the original question was if An converges to L and L does not equal zero and Bn diverges, then does {An*Bn} diverge, so i think Cn was defined

You don't seem to know the way of proving something by reductio ad absurdum. I can't give you any more help since it would violate the rules of this website.

o wait i miss understood what your last post meant(im very bad at english ) so just ignore my last post, so there quotient is {Bn} and lim{Cn) /lim{An} which is a contradiction?

because {bn} diverges

eibon said:
ok thanks , just out of curiosity how would you prove it with epsilons

Try to find a proof that if lim an=L and L is nonzero, and lim bn=M then lim bn/an=M/L. (The theorem you just used). The proof is pretty much what you were trying to do.

Related to Hard sequence queston (calculus)

1. What is a "hard sequence" in calculus?

A hard sequence in calculus refers to a sequence of numbers or functions that does not have a clear pattern or formula for calculation. Unlike regular sequences, hard sequences require more complex methods, such as the use of limits and derivatives, to find the value of each term.

2. How do I solve a hard sequence question in calculus?

To solve a hard sequence question in calculus, you will need to determine the type of sequence (e.g. arithmetic, geometric, etc.) and then apply appropriate techniques, such as finding the limit or using the derivative formula, to find the value of each term. It may also be helpful to look for patterns or clues within the sequence to assist in solving the problem.

3. Can hard sequence questions be solved without calculus?

No, hard sequence questions usually require the use of calculus techniques such as limits and derivatives to find the solution. Without these methods, it would be difficult to accurately determine the value of each term in the sequence.

4. Are there any tips for solving hard sequence questions in calculus?

One useful tip for solving hard sequence questions in calculus is to try different methods and approaches. It may also be helpful to break the sequence into smaller parts or to look for patterns within the sequence. Additionally, practicing with similar problems can help improve problem-solving skills.

5. Why are hard sequence questions important in calculus?

Hard sequence questions are important in calculus because they require critical thinking and the application of advanced techniques. Solving these problems helps to develop problem-solving skills and better understanding of calculus concepts. Additionally, hard sequences can be used to model real-world situations and can be applied in various fields such as physics and engineering.