1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic components of a signal

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have trouble understanding what the components are

suppose we have this discrete time signal

[tex] x[n] = e^{j \frac{2\pi}{3} n} [/tex]

find the number of harmonic components

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

in my book it says that we have a set of harmonically related signals, that is signals that have a fundamental frequency that is multiple of [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] where this omega is the fundamental frequency of x[n] in this case

so the set of this signals is [tex] x_{k}[n] = e^{j k \frac{2\pi}{3} n} [/tex]

now,

for k = 0 we have a constant

for k = +1 and -1 we have the first harmonic component since the frequency is the smae
    for k = +2 and -2 we have the second harmonic component
    for k = +3 and -3 the third
    for k = +4 and -4 the fourth which has frequency equal to the one where k = 0

now I don't understand the questions "how many harmonic components the signal has"

assuming that for k = +4, -4 and k = 0 we have the same frequency we can count this as one

for this reason can I say that we have 4 harmonic components?

the first for k = +1 and -1, the second for k = +2 and -2, the third for k = +3 and -3 and finally the fourth for k = +4 and -4?

last question: would it be the same if I started counting from k = 0, to k = 3,-3?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted