Harmonic oscillator, friction, impulse

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a linear harmonic oscillator subject to friction. The impulse at time t = 0 is discussed and the correct equation of motion is determined to be x'' + (a/m)*x' + (k/m)*x = v0 / t0 * (1/m). The conversation also mentions the possibility of overdamped, underdamped, and critically damped solutions for the equation.
covers

Homework Statement

A linear harmonic oscillator is subject to friction(stokes). The Oscillator gets an Impulse at the time t = 0 at the rest position. What is the equation of motion for the time interval 0 - t0?

Homework Equations

Friction force: Fr = -a * x'(t); a = constant (stokes friction)
Impulse: F(t) = m *v0 / t0 (for 0 <= t <= t0)

k = spring constant
m = mass

x(t = 0) = 0 (rest position at the time t = 0)
x'(t = 0) = 0 (velocity at the time t = 0 is zero)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a little trouble with the impulse here. My attempt at a solution was this:
m*x'' = -k*x - a*x' + m*v0/t0 ==> x'' + (a/m)*x' + (k/m)*x = v0 / t0

But my book claims that the equation really goes like this:
x'' + (a/m)*x' + (k/m)*x = v0 / t0 * (1/m)

Does somebody know why I am wrong and the book is right? I don't understand it, because I thought I needed a force(respectively acceleration) in above equation of motion. How does v0 / t0 * (1/m) fit into the equation, doesn't it have the wrong units?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. You say the Impulse is at time t = 0 but then you give it as a change of momentum divided by the whole time of the motion (t0).

I would have interpreted the "impulse at t = 0" to mean the initial velocity was v0 (not 0) and the equation for time 0 <= t <= t0 was just mx" + ax' + kx = 0.

But I learned this stuff 30 years ago, so the standard terminology might have changed since then.

If v0 and t0 are a velocity and a time then you are correct, your units are consistent and the book apparently is not.

Thanks for helping!

AlephZero said:
I don't understand your notation. You say the Impulse is at time t = 0 but then you give it as a change of momentum divided by the whole time of the motion (t0).

As far as I understand it, the impulse lasts per definition for a certain time interval. In my example here, it goes from t = 0 to t = t0. In my book it is stated as like that: F(t) = m*v0/t0 (for 0 <= t <= t0).

AlephZero said:
I would have interpreted the "impulse at t = 0" to mean the initial velocity was v0 (not 0) and the equation for time 0 <= t <= t0 was just mx" + ax' + kx = 0.

The velocity at t = 0 is clearly stated as 0. Maybe it would be more correct to write the impulse like that: F(t) = m*v0/t0 (for 0 < t <= t0). But I'm not sure about that. Also, x'(t = 0) = 0 is used to determine initial conditions later in the exercise.
AlephZero said:
If v0 and t0 are a velocity and a time then you are correct, your units are consistent and the book apparently is not.

Yes, v0 and t0 are velocity and time (sorry if I was not precise enough). The Problem is just, if that's an error in the book its hard to believe! Because as the exercise goes on, this has a lot of consequences, and the term 'v0 / t0 * (1/m)' is used throughout the whole exercise...

Last edited:
OK, so he's assuming the impulse comes from a constant force for the time interval 0 <= t <= t0, and if it was applied to a free mass m it would produce velocity v0 at time t0.

In which case, sorry, I don't understand why the 1/m is there.

Thanks anyway. Maybe it's really an error.

I take the opportunity to ask another question about this exercise.

At one point, I have to decide whether 'a / (2*m)' is bigger or smaller or equal to 'sqrt(k/m)'. This is relevant when deciding if the oscillator is overdamped, underdamped or critically damped. Is there a way to decide with the information given what kind of oscillator it is? The book is assuming that the oscillator is underdamped, but it does not explain why...

The solutions of the equation of motion mx" + ax' + kx = 0 (with no external forces) are exponentials. The exponents are either real (overdamped case) or complex (underdamped, oscillating solutions).

A trial solution x = e^st gives the auxiliary equation ms^2 + as + k = 0 to determine s. The condition for real or imaginary roots of this quadratic equation is that a^2 - 4mk is greater or less than 0. For the critically damped case a^2 - 4mk = 0, there is only one repeated root for s, and the two independent solutions are e^st and t.e^st.

Look for a text on solutions of second order linear differential equations if you need more on this.

Beware - some texts on vibration write this equation in the form mx" + 2ax' + kx. Take care with the 2's.

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around an equilibrium point. It follows the laws of simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How does friction affect a harmonic oscillator?

Friction can dampen the motion of a harmonic oscillator, reducing its amplitude and causing it to eventually come to rest. This is because friction converts the energy of the system into heat, dissipating it from the system.

3. What is the role of impulse in a harmonic oscillator?

Impulse is the change in momentum of a system and plays a crucial role in the motion of a harmonic oscillator. It is responsible for the initial displacement of the oscillator and determines its amplitude and frequency.

4. How does the amplitude of a harmonic oscillator change with time?

The amplitude of a harmonic oscillator decreases with time due to the effects of friction. As the energy of the system is dissipated, the amplitude decreases until the oscillator eventually comes to rest.

5. What are some real-life examples of harmonic oscillators?

Some common examples of harmonic oscillators include pendulums, swinging doors, and springs. These systems exhibit periodic motion around an equilibrium point and follow the laws of simple harmonic motion.