Harnessing Solar Energy to Provide Power & Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for harnessing solar energy through satellites to provide both power and drinking water. However, concerns over the safety and cost of beaming the energy to Earth have hindered the development of this idea. Additionally, the solar power industry is actively growing, but has faced challenges in competing with fossil fuels. Some countries, such as Spain, have been successful in implementing solar power on a large scale. Overall, the conversation highlights the potential and challenges of utilizing solar energy as a power source.
Fastidious
Forgive my noobness and possibly the wrong forum selection.

As we live within collecting distance of an energy abundant star, would it not be possible to harness that energy, through delicately polished mirrors mounted on satellites and then direct those satellites at a few key points around the globe, to turn seawater into drinkable water and provide power at the same time?

I'm sure there are reasons why it hasnt been done as yet, but after much fictional reading of conversion into microwave energy (resulting in loss of energy)I just wondered why it hasn't been done/considered?

If it has been considered i apologise for wasting the communities time. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Solar power is an extremely active industry.

Your idea talks about satellites. How do you propose to get the power from the satellites to the ground? What often happens in theses designs is the energy is beamed to Earth. Unfortunately, that's extremely dangerous. Anything passes through that beam it's toast, or if the beam drifts off and you've essentially got a death ray pointed at the Earth, wandering randomly across the landscape. This is one of the reasons why the microwave beaming designs were abandoned.

Fastidious said:
Forgive my noobness and possibly the wrong forum selection.

As we live within collecting distance of an energy abundant star, would it not be possible to harness that energy, through delicately polished mirrors mounted on satellites and then direct those satellites at a few key points around the globe, to turn seawater into drinkable water and provide power at the same time?

I'm sure there are reasons why it hasnt been done as yet, but after much fictional reading of conversion into microwave energy (resulting in loss of energy)I just wondered why it hasn't been done/considered?

If it has been considered i apologise for wasting the communities time. :)

What you describe sounds like a cross between http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power" . I'm not convinced that space based will ever take off (pun intended) even with the advantages, I can't ever see it as being economical to ship that much hardware into space however perhaps if launch costs could be made cheaper it would be a viable option for countries which don't get as much sun.

As Dave said solar power is a huge industry that is developing all the time. Part of the problem for solar deployment is that it hasn't been competitive with fossil fuels and this has slowed it's R&D as well as deployment. However that is changing in some parts of the world; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain" .

Unfortunately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SolarGIS-Solar-map-Europe-en.png" has this option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Harnessing Solar Energy to Provide Power & Water

1. How does harnessing solar energy provide power and water?

Solar energy is harnessed through the use of solar panels, which convert sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. This electricity can then be used to power homes, businesses, and other structures. Additionally, solar energy can also be used to power water pumps and filtration systems, providing clean drinking water in areas where access to clean water is limited.

2. What are the benefits of using solar energy to provide power and water?

There are several benefits to harnessing solar energy for power and water. Firstly, solar energy is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, meaning it will never run out. It is also clean and does not produce any harmful emissions, making it better for the environment. Solar panels also have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance, making them a cost-effective option in the long run.

3. Can solar energy be used to power large-scale operations?

Yes, solar energy can be used to power large-scale operations, such as factories, farms, and even entire cities. With advancements in technology, solar panels are becoming more efficient and capable of producing larger amounts of electricity. In fact, some countries have already successfully implemented large-scale solar energy systems to power their infrastructure.

4. Are there any limitations to using solar energy for power and water?

While solar energy has many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. Firstly, solar panels require sunlight to function, so they are not as effective in areas with low levels of sunlight or during cloudy days. This can be mitigated by using battery storage systems to store excess energy for later use. Additionally, the initial cost of installing solar panels can be expensive, although it is offset by cost savings in the long run.

5. How can individuals and businesses incorporate solar energy into their daily lives?

There are various ways for individuals and businesses to incorporate solar energy into their daily lives. This can include installing solar panels on rooftops to generate electricity for personal use, using solar-powered water heaters, or purchasing solar-powered devices such as chargers and lights. Businesses can also consider implementing solar energy systems to power their operations, reducing their carbon footprint and energy costs.