Is Peter O'Neil's Advanced Engineering Mathematics a worthwhile investment?

• Thread starter Valhalla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a recommendation for a reference book on advanced engineering mathematics. The book suggested is "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Peter O'Neil, with an ISBN of 0-534-94320-9. The person asking for recommendations is also considering other books within a price range of $20-$50, and some suggestions are "Ken Stroud's book of the same name" and "Erwin Kreyszig's book". The conversation also includes opinions on the different books from various individuals.
Valhalla
My Differential Equations professor suggested this book to my class as a good reference book for future engineers/scientist types. I was wondering if anyone has read/used this book? It is only $45 on Amazon, but I still wanted some input before I drop any money.
Advanced Engineering Mathematics
Peter O'Neil
ISBN 0-534-94320-9
Any other good reference book that is suggested that could be picked up for $20-$50?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ken Stroud's book of the same name is very good, and in your price range, if you'd care to have a look?

Same title, by Erwin Kreyszig is really good. I have no idea how much it costs over there, but down under its about $100.

morry said:
Same title, by Erwin Kreyszig is really good. I have no idea how much it costs over there, but down under its about $100.
Ugh. I have Kreyszig. It's not bad, but boy does it lack in some areas. For me it was a frustrating book. Thank goodness for the internet. I do like the layout of the book though. It is pretty easy to read.

I used Stroud, but actually got it out of the library. Excelleny though.

Peter o'Neil may be a good book because our college's library have its limited copies :). Kreyzig is an average book. Look for some book by IIT faculty. They are cheap and really good.

1. Has anyone used this book before?

It is not possible to accurately determine if someone has used a book before. Each person's reading habits and preferences are unique, so even if someone has read the book, their experience may not be the same as yours. It is best to read reviews or ask for recommendations from trusted sources before deciding to use a book.

2. How can I find out if someone has used this book?

There is no definitive way to find out if someone has used a book before. You can read reviews or ask for recommendations from others who have read the book. Additionally, you can conduct research on the author or the book itself to see if it has been mentioned in any discussions or articles.

3. Can I trust the opinions of someone who has used this book?

It ultimately depends on the individual's experience and their personal preferences. One person's opinion may not align with yours, so it is best to read a variety of reviews and ask for recommendations from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the book.

4. Is it important to know if someone has used this book before?

It can be helpful to know if someone has used a book before, especially if you are considering purchasing it or using it for research. However, it is not essential to know this information, as everyone's reading experience is unique and subjective.

5. How can I ensure that I will have a positive experience with this book?

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will have a positive experience with a book, even if others have used it before. However, reading reviews and asking for recommendations from trusted sources can increase the likelihood of a positive experience. Additionally, keeping an open mind and being willing to explore new ideas and perspectives can also enhance your reading experience.