Having problems with forces in a static problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining why friction is pointing to the left in order to achieve equilibrium. It is explained that the normal force has a component to the right which balances out the friction force. However, it is important to note that the normal force is always perpendicular to the direction of motion at the point of contact. By taking the moment about the center of mass, the normal force is shown to have a moment that helps to calculate the tension force and friction coefficient.
Hernaner28
I have this situation:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=59131.0;attach=10647.gif

I know that tension and friction act poining at left. Weight is obviously downward but then I need a force pointing at right for the rod to be static, and the only force left is the normal force but why should it be pointing at left? Isn't it vertical?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
why friction is pointing to left if you want equilibrium.

No. Normal force has a component to the right. Friction is pointing to left. I think I undeerstand why normal force has a component and it's not vertical only

Thanks!

just be careful.normal force is always perpendicular to the direction of motion of point of contact

Sorry, I don't get it. What is wrong? Thanks!

normal force will be perpendicular to surface ,it does not have left component or right at least in this case.

Well then friction should be pointing to left, what are you saying? If friction pointed to right then net torque wouldn't be zero and it would rotate! But if friction pointed to left it would have a translational motion. I need a force pointing to right

you will have to take moment about center of mass .normal reaction is opposing that torque.
edit-also if you take moment about point of contact then tension and weight would be counteracting

Last edited:
Ahhhhh now I see it. Normal force has a moment! Thank you very much andrien!

Yeah, that's actually whaat I had to do to calculate the tension force given the fact that I know the weight. After that I can calculate the friction coefficient which doesn't depend on anything, just on the angle theta. It's 0.29 for 60º aproximately

1. What is a static problem in terms of forces?

A static problem refers to a situation in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object being at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. How do I determine the forces involved in a static problem?

To determine the forces involved in a static problem, you can use the principles of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What are the common types of forces seen in static problems?

The most common types of forces seen in static problems include gravitational force, normal force, frictional force, and tension force. These forces can either be balanced or unbalanced, depending on the situation.

4. How can I solve a static problem with multiple forces involved?

To solve a static problem with multiple forces involved, you can use the principle of vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then adding them together to find the net force acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of static problems involving forces?

Some real-life examples of static problems involving forces include a book sitting on a table, a car parked on a hill, and a person standing on the ground. In all of these situations, the forces acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.