Max Temperature Peak: Global vs Local Energy Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between adding heat to a system and the resulting change in temperature. The question asks if the change in temperature is always the same regardless of the initial global temperature or if it varies. The answer is no, as the heat capacity and conductivity are not constant with temperature.
porcupine6789
Ok, so say I have a system at a global temperature, I add an energy source (laser in this case) and it heats the system in a localized area. This leads to a maximum temperature peak in the system. Then you can get out a change in temperature from this maximum to the global. OK, now my question is say in increase the global temperature and keep the power source the same, would I expect to find the delta temperature to be the same for small global temperatures, or would I expect to find that the change from global to max is greater when the global temperature is greater. Hopefully that made some sort of sense.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you don't mind me rephrasing it, I think you're asking:
"Does adding a given amount of heat to a system always raise the temperature by the same amount? (Locally before equilibration and globally after it's equilibrated)"

The answer would be no. The heat capacity (change of temperature per unit of heat energy) is not usually constant with temperature, nor is the heat conductivity (which together with the heat capacity would determine the maximum temperature peak during heating).

1. What is a "Max Temperature Peak"?

A Max Temperature Peak refers to the highest recorded temperature at a given location or globally over a specific period of time. It can be measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit and is often used to track changes in temperature over time.

2. How is the Max Temperature Peak measured?

The Max Temperature Peak is measured using a thermometer, either manually or automatically. This data is then collected and analyzed by scientists to determine the highest recorded temperature at a specific location or globally.

3. What is the difference between "Global" and "Local" energy sources in relation to the Max Temperature Peak?

Global energy sources refer to the overall energy consumption and production of the entire world, while local energy sources pertain to a specific region or country. The type and amount of energy sources used can affect the Max Temperature Peak, as certain sources may emit more heat and contribute to higher temperatures.

4. How do energy sources impact the Max Temperature Peak?

The use of energy sources, such as fossil fuels, can contribute to an increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. This, in turn, can lead to higher temperatures and potentially impact the Max Temperature Peak. Additionally, the type of energy source used can also play a role, as some sources may emit more heat than others.

5. What can we learn from comparing the Max Temperature Peak between global and local energy sources?

By comparing the Max Temperature Peak between global and local energy sources, scientists can better understand the impact of energy consumption and production on temperature changes. This information can inform and guide efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.