Heat capacities of ideal gases

In summary: K. In summary, the problem involves a cylinder containing 0.2mol of Helium at 30 degrees C, and the goal is to find the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature to 70C while keeping the volume constant. The equations dQ=dU+dT and nCpdT=nCvdT+nRdT are relevant, but it is important to note that for an isochoric process, dU=dQ and Cp should not be used since it is not an isobaric process. In the case of ideal gases, the rule c=c'/ρ0 or c=C/μ can be applied to find the amount of heat needed. Using the formula Q=nCΔT or Q=
hahaha158

Homework Statement

A cylinder contains 0.2mol of Helium at 30 degrees C and is heated different ways.
How much heat is needed to raise the temperature to 70C while keeping thevolume constant?

Homework Equations

dQ=dU+dT
nCpdT=nCvdT+nRdT

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am confused about is whether to use the nCpdT (heat added) or nCvdT (change in internal energy). If it is a constant volume process, wouldn't that mean dQ=dU therefore nCpdT=nCvdT?

Obviously that is not the case as the moles (0.2) are constant as is the change in temperature (70-30=40C or 40K). As as result Cp=Cv which should be untrue for a monatomic gas.

What is the cause for this discrepancy and how can I determine which equation to use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder contains 0.2mol of Helium at 30 degrees C and is heated different ways.
How much heat is needed to raise the temperature to 70C while keeping thevolume constant?

Homework Equations

dQ=dU+dT
nCpdT=nCvdT+nRdT

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am confused about is whether to use the nCpdT (heat added) or nCvdT (change in internal energy). If it is a constant volume process, wouldn't that mean dQ=dU therefore nCpdT=nCvdT?

Obviously that is not the case as the moles (0.2) are constant as is the change in temperature (70-30=40C or 40K). As as result Cp=Cv which should be untrue for a monatomic gas.

What is the cause for this discrepancy and how can I determine which equation to use?

Thanks

The problem doesn't state to assume an ideal gas. But if we do:

You mentioned dU = dQ for any isochoric process, which is correct. So use that relation.

Why do you invoke Cp at all? It's obviously not an isobaric process. And Cp is never equal to Cv - monatomic gas or not.

It says the volume is kept constant - isochoric process it is.
nevermind this part I for some reason read at first you were heating hydrogen and I was thinking, hang on, hydrogen is a 2atom gas - but yes, "He" is a monatomic gas.

In case of ideal gases there is a rule:
c = c' / ρ0
c - amount of heat to heat up 1kg of gas by 1K
c' - amount of heat to heat up 1 m³ of gas by 1K
ρ0 - density of the gas in case of normal conditions where pressure is equal to 760mmHg(101325 Pa I think it was) and temperature = 273,15K

also:
c= C / μ
C - amount of heat to heat up 1 mol of gas by 1K
μ - the unit is 1kg/kmol - shows you how much is the mass of the gas in your given volume.

To find the amount of heat, assuming there will be no loss of heat, you need to apply the formula
Q = nCΔT or Q = mcΔT or Q = Vc'ΔT
n - the amount of mols of your gas
m - the mass of your gas
V - the volume of your gas

Cv in case of a monatomic gas is roughly 12.56 kJ/kmol

Last edited:

What is the definition of heat capacity?

Heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is typically measured in units of Joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or Joules per Kelvin (J/K).

How does the heat capacity of an ideal gas differ from other substances?

The heat capacity of an ideal gas is a constant value and does not change with temperature, pressure, or volume. This is because ideal gases do not experience intermolecular forces, so their energy depends only on their temperature.

What factors affect the heat capacity of an ideal gas?

The only factor that affects the heat capacity of an ideal gas is its temperature. At a constant pressure, the heat capacity of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature.

How is the heat capacity of an ideal gas calculated?

The heat capacity of an ideal gas can be calculated using the formula C = (nR)/2, where C is the heat capacity, n is the number of moles of gas, and R is the ideal gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K).

Why is the heat capacity of an ideal gas sometimes referred to as a molar heat capacity?

The heat capacity of an ideal gas is often referred to as a molar heat capacity because it is dependent on the number of moles of gas rather than the mass. This allows for a more consistent comparison between different gases.