Heat Capacity Ratio of Nitrogen for 2 Velocities

In summary, the heat capacity ratio is the ratio between the heat capacity at constant pressure to the heat capacity at constant volume. The question is asking to calculate the ratio of heat capacities for Nitrogen at two different speeds of sound, 350.4 m/s and 295.6 m/s. The calculated ratios were 1.387 and 0.987 respectively. The student is unsure of which velocity is best to use and why, as they do not fully understand the concept of the heat capacity ratio. They are questioning whether it is more advantageous to have a ratio closer to 1 or greater than 1. The formula used for this calculation is gamma = (Mv^2)/RT, where M represents molar mass.
moomoo345

Homework Statement

This is more of a conceptual question. I understand that the heat capacity ratio is basically the ratio between the heat capacity at constant pressure to the heat capacity at constant volume.
I was asked to calculate the ratio of heat capacities for Nitrogen at two speeds of sounds that I derived. One speed was 350.4 m/s and the other was 295.6 m/s. I was able to calculate the ratios with the equation given below. I got 1.387 and 0.987 respectively from the speeds above.

My question is which velocity is best to use and why? I'm having a hard time answering this question simply because I don't think I fully understand the concept of the heat capacity ratio, as in is it more advantageous to have a ratio closer to 1? or have a ratio greater than 1?

Homework Equations

gamma = (Mv^2)/RT

M=molar mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unsure of which velocity is best because I don't think I understand the concept of the heat capacity ratio.

Related to Heat Capacity Ratio of Nitrogen for 2 Velocities

1. What is the heat capacity ratio of nitrogen?

The heat capacity ratio of nitrogen is a thermodynamic property that describes the relationship between the specific heat at constant pressure (CP) and the specific heat at constant volume (CV) for a gas. In other words, it is the ratio of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of nitrogen at constant pressure to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of nitrogen at constant volume.

2. How is the heat capacity ratio of nitrogen measured?

The heat capacity ratio of nitrogen can be measured experimentally by using calorimetry techniques. This involves heating a known amount of nitrogen at constant pressure and measuring the change in temperature. The same process is then repeated at constant volume, and the ratio of the two temperature changes is calculated to determine the heat capacity ratio.

3. What is the significance of the heat capacity ratio of nitrogen?

The heat capacity ratio of nitrogen is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it affects the behavior of nitrogen in various processes, such as compression, expansion, and heat transfer. It also plays a crucial role in the efficiency of gas turbines and other heat engines.

4. How does the heat capacity ratio of nitrogen vary with temperature?

The heat capacity ratio of nitrogen is temperature-dependent, meaning it changes with the temperature of the gas. In general, the heat capacity ratio increases with increasing temperature, and at high temperatures, it approaches a constant value of about 1.4.

5. What is the difference between the heat capacity ratio of nitrogen at two different velocities?

The heat capacity ratio of nitrogen can vary depending on the velocity of the gas. This is because at higher velocities, the gas molecules have more kinetic energy and thus can store more heat, resulting in a higher heat capacity ratio. The difference between the two velocities is typically small, but it can have a significant impact on the behavior of nitrogen in certain processes.