1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat conduction (Fourier complex integral)

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A semi-infinite bar (0 < x < 1) with unit thermal conductivity is fully insulated
    at x = 0, and is constantly heated at x = 1 over such a narrow interval that the
    heating may be represented by a delta function:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}+\delta (x-1)[/itex]

where U(x,t) is the temperature. Assuming the initial temperature is zero through-
    out, and that U -> 0 as x ->\infty 1, find U(x,t) using the appropriate Fourier trans-
    form in x. In particular, show that

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{(1+e^{-1/t})\sqrt{t}}{\sqrt{\pi }}+erf(\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}})-1[/itex]

My main problem is that this is the first time I am solving this type of problem and every example I have tried to compare mine with never involves the dirac function so I can't be certain or not if I have the right solution.. Also I've never worked with the error function and have no idea how one would manipulate my final answer so that I can show U(1,t)

2. Relevant equations

If : [itex]f(\lambda )=\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }e^{-i\lambda x}F(u)du[/itex]

Then : [itex]F(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }e^{i\lambda x}f(\lambda)d\lambda[/itex]

Also : [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\delta (x-a)f(x)dx=f(a)[/itex]

And for the final bit : [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{cos\lambda x}{\lambda^2 }(1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})d\lambda =\sqrt{\pi t}e^{\frac{-x^2}{4t}}+\frac{\pi }{2}(xerf(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{t}}-\left | x \right |)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I begin by definining:

[itex]u(\lambda ,t)=\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{-i\lambda x}U(x,t)d\lambda \\[/itex]

Then taking the Fourier transform with respect to x:

[itex]F[\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}]=F[\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}+\delta (x-1)]\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+\int_{0}^{\infty}\delta (x-1)e^{-i\lambda x}dx\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial x^2}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Then using integration by parts:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\left [ \frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x} \right ]_{0}^{\infty }+i\lambda \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Here I used the fact that at x=0 the rod is "fully insulated" thus I believe the heat transfer here will remain 0?

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=i\lambda \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Using integration by parts again:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=\left [ U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x} \right ]_{0}^{\infty }+i^2\lambda^2 \int_{0}^{\infty }U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\*[/itex]

And again by the fact that at x=0 no heat should be exchanged:

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=-\lambda^2 \int_{0}^{\infty }U(x,t)e^{-i\lambda x}dx+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=-\lambda^2 u(\lambda ,t)+e^{-i\lambda }\\[/itex]

Solving this simple ODE with the initial conditions I obtain:

[itex]U(x,t)=\frac{e^{-i\lambda} (1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})}{\lambda^2 }\\[/itex]

[itex]U(x,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }e^{i\lambda x}\frac{e^{-i\lambda} (1-e^{-\lambda^2 t})}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda [/itex]

Now I have absolutely NO idea how to get this into the integral they have given me for the final bit or if I have even done this right. Actually I also tried to expand this as an even series and you get exactly what they have given me.

A little bit more work I've done.. again have no idea if its right because I don't know if this solution is correct but:

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1-e^{-\lambda^2 t}}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda \\[/itex]

[itex]U(1,t)=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda-\frac{1}{2\pi }\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{e^{-\lambda^2 t}}{\lambda^2 }d\lambda \\[/itex]

The integral on the left causes some problems, and I can see that the integral on the right is related to the error function but not sure what to do with the denominator in there..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    Nobody? :(

It would help just to even know that I have come to the right final solution!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook