1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat engine and efficiency

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical bodies of constant heat capacity ##C_p## at temperatures ##T_1## and ##T_2## respectively are used as reservoirs for a heat engine. If the bodies remain at constant pressure, show that the amount of work obtainable is ##W = C_p (T_1 + T_2 − 2T_f)##, where ##T_f## is the final temperature attained by both bodies. Show that if the most efficient engine is used, then ##T_f^2 = T_1T_2##

2. Relevant equations
    My professor's hint: "If the most efficient engine is used, then $$\frac{dQ_1}{T_1}+\frac{dQ_2}{T_2}=0."$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to do the first part of the problem by using ##dW=dQ_h-dQ_l## and ##dQ=C_pdT.## I don't know where to start for the second part, and I don't understand how my professor's hint is supposed to be used. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integrate your professor's hint and solve for Tf (upper limit).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted