1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flow through composite material

1. Oct 11, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cross section of a 20 cm thick, 3 m wide, and 1 m high composite wall is shown. The conductivities of materials A, B and C are 1.0, 0.1, and 0.05 W m-1 K-1, respectively. One side is exposed to air at 295 K with a heat transfer coefficient of 4 W m-2 K-1, and the other side is exposed to air at 260 K with a heat transfer coefficient of 16 W m-2 K-1. Estimate the heat flow through the wall. Carefully discuss any assumptions you make.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this problem, my biggest concern is if I did my thermal circuit correctly. Also, is the area just the area of each composite material perpendicular to the direction of heat flow?

The reason I got 5 sections of A,B, and C is because the width is given as 3 meters, and a divide by 40+20 = 60 cm to get 5 sections, so there is a lot of parallel heat flow happening here.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1413007493.822605.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2014 #2
    You have the circuit set up correctly. But, I don't like this problem. Why? Because if you assume 1D heat flow, the temperature profile through the A's will be different from the temperature profile through the BC's. Just calculate the temperature at the center of A, and also calculate the temperature at the boundary between B and C. You will get different numbers. In order to solve this as a 1D heat conduction problem, you need to assume that there is insulation at the boundaries between the A's and the BC's. Otherwise the heat flow will be 2D.

Chet

4. Oct 11, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Doesn't surprise me that my professor doesn't know what she is doing, I got that impression from the get-go!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted