1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat loss in a circuit

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the heat loss in the circuit that is connected in series with two batteries (12 V and 6V) and two resistors (6ohms and 4 ohms).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the difference in P = V^2/R, the power dissipated in the circuit, to calculate the heat loss.
    Heat energy loss/t = (12^2/6) - (6^2/4) = 15W.
    Apparently, I am incorrect; but I don't know the right direction to solve this problem.
    Thanks in advance for your guidance/help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2017 #2
    What is the total voltage change across the batteries? What is the total resistance of the resistors? What is the current?

4. Jul 1, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

How did you decide that there was 12 V across the 6 Ω resistor and 6 V across the 4 Ω resistor? What is the current flowing in the series circuit? Can it be different for different components? Try writing KVL for the loop.

5. Jul 1, 2017 #4
    See you used the formula , P=V^2/R but as you mentioned the resistors are connected in series. The formula you used was when the resistors are connected in parallel. Thus wrong formula= wrong answer

Now don't just abuse . Say the right formula. I think most of the people would have this ridiculous thought in their mind . Try using the formula -
    P=I^2Rt
    Hope it helped!

6. Jul 2, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation P=V^2/R works just fine for ALL circuits (series or parallel) if you use the correct values for V and R.

See post #3

7. Jul 2, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

draw a circuit diagram and show your calculations for the loop current and how you arrive at it and derive the power from it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted