1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat of Hydration?

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    Heat of Hydration????

My text asks me to find the (delta H hydration = ??? kj/mol ) and
    the (delta Hsoln =??? kj/mol) when LiI (lithium iodide) is dissolved in water and the solution becomes hotter. Endo/Exo?? And how do I find the kj/mol's. Im a first year student and starting in the middle of the year, so I am a little behind so to speak.
    Sorry about any wrong info. This is my first time on this site.:cry:
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heat of hydration is the energy given out when the Li and I bond with water - This will be pretty exothermic ( energy given out = negative )
    Heat of solution is the energy needed to break the LiI into separate ions, this takes energy and is endothermic ( energy taken in = positive )

Be careful though - you could also define the heat of solution to be the total energy generated ie heat hydration + heat solution.
    I don't know how you work these out from first principles, you would eithe rmeasure it in an experiment or use values from tables (of other people experiments )
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?