Heat of Reaction: KOH + HCl --> KCL + H2O, NaOH + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + H2O

In summary, the given reaction is a neutralization reaction between a strong acid and a strong base, which will always yield a heat of neutralization of -54 kJ/mol. The net ionic equations for the reactions are H+ + OH- --> H2O and 2OH- + 2H+ --> 2H2O, respectively. The heat of reaction can be calculated by multiplying the number of moles of water produced by -54 kJ, which results in -108 kJ for the first reaction and -216 kJ for the second reaction. Therefore, the correct answer should be A. = -108 kJ. The other options, including C. = -27 kJ, do not make sense
chikis

Homework Statement

Given that for the reaction KOH(aq) + HCL(aq) ----> KCL(aq) + H2O(l) H = - 54kjmol^-1.
What is the quantity of heat involved in the reaction? 2NaOH(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ----> Na2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)?

Homework Equations

Heat of reaction Hrn =heat content of product Hp - heat content of reactant Hr. It can be written as Hrn= Hp-Hr

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Hrn=Hp-Hr. I don't know what to do again in other to get the value of Hp and Hr so that I can take the difference and Hrn will appear from no where.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need "heat content" of reactants/products.

First things first - write net ionic reaction.

This is a neutralization reaction between a strong acid and a strong base. Any neutralization reaction between a strong base and a strong acid yields the same heat of neutralization, -54 KJ/mol.

To better understand this, as Borek said, try to write the net ionic equation for both the reaction. You will see the magic then.

Borek said:
You don't need "heat content" of reactants/products.

First things first - write net ionic reaction.
For the reaction KOH(aq) + HCL(aq) ----> KCL(aq) + H2O(l)
Net ionic equation
H++OH---->H2O
For the reaction:
2NaOH(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ----> Na2SO4(aq) + 2H2O(l)
Net ionic equation
2OH-+2H+
---->2H2O
So what is the heat of reaction?

Last edited:
If burning 1 candle produces x kJ, how many kJ will be produced when you burn 2 candles?

Borek said:
If burning 1 candle produces x kJ, how many kJ will be produced when you burn 2 candles?

If 1 mole of water produces -54kJ, then 2 moles of water will produce -108kJ. Could that be what you are tying to ask?

That's not what I am trying to ask, that's what you are trying to understand :-p

It is not "moles of water produce 108kJ", it is "108kJ evolved while producing 1 mole of water in the neutralization reaction". But otherwise you are right. Note the sign!

Borek said:
That's not what I am trying to ask, that's what you are trying to understand :-p

It is not "moles of water produce 108kJ", it is "108kJ evolved while producing 1 mole of water in the neutralization reaction". But otherwise you are right. Note the sign!

What does the sign have to the with the computation?

Earlier you wrote:

chikis said:
1 mole of water produces -54kJ

That's incorrect. If anything, when 1 mole of water is made in neutralization reaction, 54 kJ are produced. That means standard enthalpy of reaction is -54 kJ - because by convention enthalpy change for exothermic reaction is negative (lost by the system, not gained by the surroundings).

When you write "-54 kJ is produced" it suggests system gained 54 kJ, and the reaction was endothermic.

Why do I have to write the net ionic equation before solving?

You have to understand first what is actually going on before trying to intercept the situation. You don't eat food without seeing what is served to you, do you?

AGNuke said:
You have to understand first what is actually going on before trying to intercept the situation.
You don't eat food without seeing what is served to you, do you?

No I don't, unless am blind.

Same here. Try to actually see what reaction is going on. This case, just simple neutralization, formation of water by strong acid and strong base.

Always try to write down the reaction when solving the problem. This makes the problem visually easy and enables you to solve it rather easily, now that you are able to see the reaction.

Borek said:

It is not "moles of water produce 108kJ", it is "108kJ evolved while producing 1 mole of water in the neutralization reaction". But otherwise you are right.
Note the sign!

I Now understand what you meant properly now. Because the sign is negative, the reaction is exothermic, therefore heat in kJ is evolved when 1 mole of water is produced. Isn't it?

Here are the possible answers which the authors of the question set for the problem A.-108kj B. -54kj C. -27kj D. +27kj E. +54kj.
They went and choose C. = -27kj instead of A. = -108kj. I don't blame them as such, maybe that mistake is due to typo error. Don't you think the same?

27 kJ (regardless of the sign) doesn't make any sense.

Borek said:
27 kJ (regardless of the sign) doesn't make any sense.

I don't understand what you mean.

Neither 27 kJ nor -27 kJ is a correct answer.

Borek said:
Neither 27 kJ nor -27 kJ is a correct answer.

Thanks for the asistance. I do appreciate!

Related to Heat of Reaction: KOH + HCl --> KCL + H2O, NaOH + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + H2O

1. What is a heat of reaction?

A heat of reaction, also known as enthalpy of reaction, is the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

2. How is the heat of reaction measured?

The heat of reaction is measured in units of energy, typically joules or calories. It is usually determined by conducting experiments in a controlled environment and measuring the change in temperature.

3. What factors affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction is affected by the nature of the reactants and products, the amount of reactants used, and the temperature and pressure of the reaction environment.

4. How does the heat of reaction affect the rate of a reaction?

The heat of reaction can affect the rate of a reaction by influencing the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. A higher heat of reaction can lower the activation energy, making the reaction occur more quickly.

5. What is the heat of reaction for the reactions KOH + HCl → KCl + H2O and NaOH + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + H2O?

The heat of reaction for KOH + HCl → KCl + H2O is -57.8 kJ/mol, and the heat of reaction for NaOH + H2SO4 → Na2SO4 + H2O is -85.9 kJ/mol. This means that both reactions release energy in the form of heat.