Calculating Heat of Reaction for H2SO4 and NaOH Solution

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the heat of reaction in a solution of 50.0 mL of 1.0 M H2SO4 and 50.0 mL of .976 M NaOH. The method used involved converting the solutions to moles and using the q=mcDeltaT equation, with some discussion about the density of NaOH. Additional questions about the reaction and its speed were also raised.
nerdmon

Homework Statement

When 50.0 mL of 1.0 M H2SO4 at 26.1 celcius was added to 50.0 mL of .976 M NaOH also at 26.1 celcius, the temperature rose to 32.6 celcius. Calculate the heat of reaction.

Homework Equations

H2SO4 (aq) + 2NaOH(aq) --> Na2SO4 (aq) + 2H2O(l)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I converted both given amount of solutions into moles and found that NaOH was the limiting reactant (made .0488 mol h20 while the sulfuric acid made .1 mol). Then I converted the 50 mL of NaOH into grams (1 g/mL) and plugged that into the q=mcDeltaT equation. I did:
50g*4.184J/gcelcius*6.5 celcius = 1359.8 J
Then I divided that by the mols of NaOH
1359.8 J/.0488 mol = 27864.7541 J/mol

Can anyone confirm if I did this correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 g/mL is the density of water, therefore I don't think that you can convert 50 mL of NaOH into 50g of NaOH using it. The density of NaOH should be something like 2.130 g/mL, but I'm not sure if that is the correct value or not.

oh i assumed 4.184 because it is a dilute solution

I think 4.184 is fine for the spec heat. I'm talking about the density of the material that reacted. But maybe I am misunderstanding.

ohh good point.. hmm maybe I don't know... thanks for the heads up on that

so I am doing a lab on acid and bases and acid and metal reactions, and i have to calculate the energy change, heat

-what would be a difference in the reactions with the heat??
- which one would be faster??

ditto_299, you should start a new thread and follow the template. We need more information about your problem (and you should show us what you've tried to do so far) before we can help you. Cheers.

What is the definition of heat of reaction?

Heat of reaction, also known as enthalpy of reaction, is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

How is heat of reaction calculated?

The heat of reaction is calculated by taking the difference between the energy of the products and the energy of the reactants. It can be calculated using the formula: ΔH = ΣH(products) - ΣH(reactants).

What factors can affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction can be affected by several factors including the temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products, the presence of a catalyst, and the physical state of the reactants and products.

How is heat of reaction measured?

The heat of reaction is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the heat released or absorbed during a reaction. This measurement is usually given in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

What is the importance of heat of reaction in chemistry?

The heat of reaction plays a crucial role in understanding the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It helps predict the direction and rate of a reaction, and is also important in industrial processes such as in the production of fuels and pharmaceuticals.