Heat Pipe Design: Books for Design & Analysis

In summary, the book recommended by the person is Heat Pipes, Fifth Edition: Theory, Design and Applications (Hardcover) by David Reay (Author), Peter Kew (Author).
Baltistani
HI friends

Please recommen any good book on the design and analysis of heat pipes

Engineering news on Phys.org
References from this site:
http://www.electronics-cooling.com/Resources/EC_Articles/SEP96/sep96_02.htm

1. Brennan, P.J. and Kroliczek, E.J., Heat Pipe Design Handbook, B&K Engineering, NASA Contract No. NAS5-23406, June 1979.
2. Chi, S.W., Heat Pipe Theory and Practice, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 1976.
3. Dunn, P.D. and Reay, D.A., Heat Pipes, 3rd. Edition, Permagon Press, 1982.
4. Eastman, G. Yale and Ernst D.M., Heat Transfer Technology (Heat Pipe), Kirk-Othmer: Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, Volume 12, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1980.
5. Peterson, G.P., An Introduction to Heat Pipes Modeling, Testing, and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1994.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am also looking for good resources on heat pipe design. I am a mechanical engineer and am currently working to develop a unique heat pipe design. I am specifically looking for design guidelines, keystone research papers, best practices, etc. The areas I am looking to research include optimal operating parameters and materials for the wick component, and phase change and enthalpy/entropy data for various combinations and vacuum levels for the liquid/vapor carrier fluid.

I am just getting started on this adventure and am looking for good recommendations for resources that are reasonably priced, cheap, or free. I am not in academia so do not have easy access to expensive textbooks or technical journals. I am willing to pay for highly recommended material, so please let me know what you recommend.

thanks,
Alok

I am also looking for good resources on heat pipe design.

You and me both. I've been doing quite a bit of searching and found heat pipe research publishing's rather difficult to find in english. I have found a lot of research done in Russia and in some cases China but not to many resources I can understand. If I come across any good resources I will let you know.

There is a very thorough and current article in the latest (November 2008) issue of Electronics cooling magazine, here: http://www.electronics-cooling.com/html/2008_nov_a3.php

The print magazine is free. I highly recommend it.

Also, there are some excellent references in the footnotes of the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google heat pipe design amazon booksand you will find the following very informative book.

Heat Pipes, Fifth Edition: Theory, Design and Applications (Hardcover)
by David Reay (Author), Peter Kew (Author)
Key Phrases: rotating heat pipe, wicked heat pipe, conductivity viscos, Heat Mass Transf, New York, United States (more...)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
List Price: $75.95
Price: $60.76 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $15.19 (20%)
Upgrade this book for $14.59 more, and you can read, search, and annotate every page online. See details
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Thursday, January 22?
Order it in the next 20 hours and 51 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
See details

12 new from $56.99 4 used from $60.00

1. What is a heat pipe and how does it work?

A heat pipe is a highly efficient heat transfer device that uses the principles of phase change and capillary action to transfer heat from one location to another. It consists of an enclosed tube or pipe, typically made of copper or aluminum, filled with a small amount of working fluid. When heat is applied to one end of the heat pipe, the working fluid evaporates and travels to the colder end of the pipe, where it condenses and releases the heat. This cycle continues, resulting in the efficient transfer of heat from one end of the pipe to the other.

2. What are the key factors to consider when designing a heat pipe?

When designing a heat pipe, it is important to consider the following factors:

• Working fluid: The type of working fluid used in the heat pipe will greatly affect its performance.
  • Operating temperature range: Heat pipes are designed to operate within a specific temperature range, and the choice of materials and working fluid should reflect this range.
  • Heat load: The amount of heat that needs to be transferred by the heat pipe will determine its size and design.
  • Orientation: The orientation of the heat pipe (vertical, horizontal, or inclined) will affect its performance and should be considered during the design process.
  • Thermal resistance: The thermal resistance of the heat pipe is a crucial factor in determining its efficiency and should be minimized during design.

3. How can I analyze the performance of a heat pipe?

There are various methods for analyzing the performance of a heat pipe, including analytical solutions, numerical simulations, and experimental testing. These methods take into account factors such as heat transfer coefficients, fluid flow rates, and thermal resistances to determine the effectiveness of the heat pipe in transferring heat.

4. Are there any common design mistakes to avoid when designing a heat pipe?

Some common design mistakes to avoid when designing a heat pipe include using incorrect materials or working fluids, not considering the operating temperature range, and neglecting the effects of gravity on the heat pipe's performance. It is also important to properly size the heat pipe and consider any limitations in manufacturing and assembly.

5. How can I learn more about heat pipe design and analysis?

There are various resources available for learning more about heat pipe design and analysis, including books, online courses, and technical papers. It is also beneficial to consult with experts in the field and gain hands-on experience through practical projects and experiments.