Understanding the Equation: L = c ΔT

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of heat required to melt ice and heat it to a certain temperature, taking into account the fact that the ice will continue to cool the coffee after melting. The specific heat of water and the latent heat of fusion are used in the calculations, and there are two unknowns to be solved for.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-14_22-22-17.png

Homework Equations

Q = Lm (L is latent heat of fusion)
Q = c m ΔT (c is specific heat) (m is mass)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
equating the 2 equations : Lm = c m ΔT

the m's cancel out

L = c ΔT

feels like something went wrong at this point

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to take into account that the ice will continue to cool the coffee after melting. What will be the relation which tells you how much heat is released when the ice melts and gains 26 °C?

Important side note: I do not know if you did the image of the problem yourself, but C is a unit of charge, not of temperature. The unit of temperature is °C.

Orodruin said:
You will need to take into account that the ice will continue to cool the coffee after melting. What will be the relation which tells you how much heat is released when the ice melts and gains 26 °C?

Important side note: I do not know if you did the image of the problem yourself, but C is a unit of charge, not of temperature. The unit of temperature is °C.
Q = L m

so for example
(1 kg of ice ) ( 3.3x105 J/kg) = 3.3 x 105 Joules

also, are you referring to the c that denotes specific heat?

goonking said:
so for example
(1 kg of ice ) ( 3.3x105 J/kg) = 3.3 x 105 Joules

No, this is the heat required when melting the ice only. The ice will also need to be heated to 26 °C.

goonking said:
also, are you referring to the c that denotes specific heat?
No, I am referring to what is stated in the problem. For example 26 C is a (quite large) charge, not a temperature - 26 °C is a temperature.

Orodruin said:
No, this is the heat required when melting the ice only. The ice will also need to be heated to 26 °C.

No, I am referring to what is stated in the problem. For example 26 C is a (quite large) charge, not a temperature - 26 °C is a temperature.
ah, it was probably forgotten , sorry about that.
Q = c m Δ T

where Δ T is (26 - 0) = -26 °C

goonking said:
ah, it was probably forgotten , sorry about that.
Q = c m Δ T

where Δ T is (26 - 0) = -26 °C

So what is the total heat required to melt the ice and heat it to 26 °C?

Orodruin said:
So what is the total heat required to melt the ice and heat it to 26 °C?
ok, so we have 200 mL of coffee = 0.2 L

density of coffee is 1000 g/L

1000 = m / 0.2

m = 200 g of coffee = .2 kg

heat required to change coffee temperature from 80C to 26 C is:

Q = c m ΔT =( 4190 ) ( .2 kg ) ( 26 C-80 C)

= -45252 joules

so amount of ice i need is

Q = L m
45252 = 3.3x105 m

m = 0.137 kg of ice

correct?

Last edited:
goonking said:
so amount of ice i need is

Q = L m
45252 = 3.3x105 m

m = 0.137 kg of ice

correct?

No, the ice is in the coffee so you will also need to heat it from 0 °C to 26 °C in order for the coffee (and ice, which is now water) to have a temperature of 26 °C. This requires more heat than simply melting the ice.

Orodruin said:
No, the ice is in the coffee so you will also need to heat it from 0 °C to 26 °C in order for the coffee (and ice, which is now water) to have a temperature of 26 °C. This requires more heat than simply melting the ice.
don't we need the specific heat of ice to do this?

goonking said:
don't we need the specific heat of ice to do this?

No, the ice is already at the melting point. After melting, it is water.

Orodruin said:
No, the ice is already at the melting point. After melting, it is water.
isn't the ice getting heat from the coffee? we just needed ice to absorb heat from the coffee so the temperature of the coffee decreases from 80 C to 26 C?

goonking said:
isn't the ice getting heat from the coffee? we just needed ice to absorb heat from the coffee so the temperature of the coffee decreases from 80 C to 26 C?

If you put the amount of ice you quoted, you will end up with coffee at 26 °C mixed with water at 0 °C. The resulting mixture will obtain a temperature in between.

Orodruin said:
If you put the amount of ice you quoted, you will end up with coffee at 26 °C mixed with water at 0 °C. The resulting mixture will obtain a temperature in between.
oooh, so we actually didn't need that much ice. k, let me do some thinking

Orodruin said:
Q = (mass ice )( cwater) ( [PLAIN]http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/images/Delta.gifTmelted ice)

so Q = massice (4190) ( 0C - 26C)

but we still have 2 unknowns, Q and mass of ice

Last edited by a moderator:
goonking said:
Q = (mass ice )( cwater) ( [PLAIN]http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/images/Delta.gifTmelted ice)

so Q = massice (4190) ( 0C - 26C)

but we still have 2 unknowns, Q and mass of ice

This is now the heat required to heat up the water (previously ice) to 26 °C. So what is the heat required to melt the ice and then heat the resulting water to 26 °C? This must be equal to the heat released when cooling the coffee down to 26 °C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orodruin said:
This is now the heat required to heat up the water (previously ice) to 26 °C. So what is the heat required to melt the ice and then heat the resulting water to 26 °C? This must be equal to the heat released when cooling the coffee down to 26 °C.
so we found out the water needs to release 45252 joules of heat to get it from 80 C to 26 C.

so the heat required to melt the ice and then heat the resulting water to 26 C = 45252 joules?

ok, so i googled the specific heat of ice , and it is 2093

placing it into this : Q = m c ΔT = 45252 joules = mice 2093 (26 C)

gives me a mass of 0.831 kg of ice

which sounds like too much ice to be realistic.

Last edited:
goonking said:
ok, so i googled the specific heat of ice , and it is 2093

As I said, you do not need the specific heat of ice, it is already at melting temperature and after melting it will be water.
You are also again neglecting the heat required to actually melt the ice. You must consider both the melting heat and the heat required to heat the resulting water at the same time.

Orodruin said:
As I said, you do not need the specific heat of ice, it is already at melting temperature and after melting it will be water.
You are also again neglecting the heat required to actually melt the ice. You must consider both the melting heat and the heat required to heat the resulting water at the same time.
wait, if something is already at its melting temperature, we ignore the c in Q =m c Δ T?

goonking said:
wait, if something is already at its melting temperature, we ignore the c in Q =m c Δ T?

No, but you do not need to change the temperature to melt it. You need to supply the melting heat. Then you need to raise the temperature of the water by 26 degrees.

I am sorry, but I cannot say it in more ways: You need to take two contributions into account, the heat required to melt the ice and the heat required to heat up the resulting water.

Orodruin said:
No, but you do not need to change the temperature to melt it. You need to supply the melting heat. Then you need to raise the temperature of the water by 26 degrees.

I am sorry, but I cannot say it in more ways: You need to take two contributions into account, the heat required to melt the ice and the heat required to heat up the resulting water.
ok , bear with me , so we know the water releases 45252 joules

so the heat required to melt the ice + the heal required to heat up the melted ice to 26 C = 45252

and heat required to melt the ice is Q1 = (mice) (3.3 x 105)

and heat required to heat up the melted ice to 26 C is Q = 4190 mice 26C

[(mice) (3.3x105 )] + [ (4190)(mice) (26)] = 45252

factoring out the m in for left side
m [(3.3x105 ) + (4190)(26C)] = 45252

m = .103 kg
correct?

Last edited:
Correct, now you need to find a function which describes this as a function of the mass of ice.

Orodruin said:
Correct, now you need to find a function which describes this as a function of the mass of ice.
so the heat required to melt the ice + the heal required to heat up the melted ice to 26 C = 45252

and heat required to melt the ice is Q1 = (mice) (3.3 x 105)

and heat required to heat up the melted ice to 26 C is Q = 4190 mice 26C

[(mice) (3.3x105 )] + [ (4190)(mice) (26)] = 45252

factoring out the m in for left side
m [(3.3x105 ) + (4190)(26C)] = 45252

m = .103 kg
correct?

goonking said:
correct?

Correct with the caveat that your middle steps should show some units. :rolleyes:

Likes goonking

FAQ: Understanding the Equation: L = c ΔT

What is the equation L = c ΔT?

The equation L = c ΔT is a mathematical representation of the relationship between length (L), the speed of light (c), and change in time (ΔT). It is commonly used in physics and other scientific fields to calculate the distance traveled by an object at the speed of light over a certain period of time.

What do the variables in L = c ΔT stand for?

The variable L represents the length or distance traveled by an object, usually in meters (m). The variable c represents the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). The variable ΔT represents the change in time, usually measured in seconds (s).

Why is the speed of light, c, important in this equation?

The speed of light, c, is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in the equation L = c ΔT. This is because the speed of light is the fastest speed at which anything can travel in the universe, making it a universal constant that is used in many scientific calculations.

Can L = c ΔT be used for any type of movement or motion?

No, the equation L = c ΔT is specifically used for calculating the distance traveled at the speed of light. It cannot be used for other types of movement or motion as they may have different equations and variables.

How is L = c ΔT related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

L = c ΔT is related to Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the concept of time dilation. This theory states that time is relative and can be affected by an object's speed and gravitational field. The equation L = c ΔT helps to explain the relationship between distance and time in the context of Einstein's theory.

Back