1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Questions

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    1.) An iceberg's volume is 2*10^6 m^3. If the temperature of the iceberg is is 250 K and the density is .9998 g/cm^3, how much heat energy would be required to competely melt it?

2.) An object weighs 500 grams and has a specific heat of 2 Joules/g C. The object absorbs 40% of the output of a 1200 watt dryer. How long will it take to raise the object's temperature from -10 C to 20 C?

Please help me with these problems. My teacher gave them to us for extra credit because he hasn't taught us how to do them. I could really use some extra credit in that class. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would suggest that you read ahead in the text book or the web (eg. here)on specific heat and "heat of fusion" of water first and then try them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?