Heat transfer and turbine blade

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with finding an analytical solution for the temperature distribution of a 2D turbine blade with cooling holes. The expert suggests using FEA analysis instead and mentions the limitations of analytical heat transfer for complex geometries. They also mention the possibility of using FLUENT for a conjugate problem. Another individual, FredGarvin, suggests checking for standard tables or comparing against empirical data. However, the expert states that there are no known standard tables and emphasizes the importance of thorough numerical modeling and testing for turbine cooling.
thisdude
hi,

i was hoping someone could help me with a problem i am having. i have a 2D turbine blade, with many holes of different diameters through it that represent the cooling passages. i am trying to find an analytical solution of the temperature distribution so i can compare it with computational answers i have.

any help is much appreciated...

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you need an FEA analysis more than an analytical approach. Analytical heat transfer just doesn't get very far on very complex geometries, it's better for use in simple geometric shapes, and 1-D approximations.

Sound like a conjugate problem you would solve using FLUENT. Analytical solutions for cooling holes don't get you very far but you can calculate the bulk flow through the passages and the ...never mind I would have no idea.

FredGarvin might know if there are standard tables for these kind of problems usually at conferences I see this kinda stuff compared against empirical data.

Nothing that I know of. The only things you can really do are very simplified analytical checks to see if you are in the ball park. From there, you need to be diligent in making sure that your numerical model converges to a believable solution. From there, real testing confirms your models and assumptions. Turbine cooling is a VERY difficult area to figure out. Us and other companies spend a lot of time and manpower on finding ways to do this.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another due to a temperature difference. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How does heat transfer affect turbine blades?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in the performance and durability of turbine blades. It can cause thermal stress, which can lead to material degradation and failure over time. Proper heat transfer management is essential for optimizing the efficiency and lifespan of turbine blades.

3. What is meant by convective heat transfer?

Convective heat transfer is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids (liquids or gases). In the context of turbine blades, this can occur through the flow of hot gases over the surface of the blade, carrying away excess heat.

4. How do engineers design turbine blades to withstand heat transfer?

Engineers use various techniques to design turbine blades that can withstand heat transfer. This includes selecting materials with high melting points and thermal conductivity, as well as designing the blade shape and cooling systems to minimize thermal stress.

5. Can heat transfer be completely eliminated in turbine blades?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate heat transfer in turbine blades. However, engineers can reduce its effects by using advanced materials and cooling techniques to manage the heat transfer process and minimize damage to the blades.