Heat Transfer question, estimation of coefficients

In summary, the author was trying to calculate the heat transfer coefficient through a double pipe heat exchanger. They needed to determine the Nussult number, the heat transfer coefficients inside and outside, and the new inside and outside wall temperatures.
timmayy
Hi, I've recently been given a series of questions on heat transfer to do and have done most of them with general ease, but this one question I've been stuck on for ages and i can't seem to figure out:

"A double pipe heat exchanger is made up from a length of 25mm i.d. steel pipe of 2.5mm thickness, and a length of 75mm i.d. pipe. The fluid in both pipes is water. Estimate the heat transfer coefficients at the outside and inside of the inner pipe for the following conditions.

Outer pipe flow-rate 5kg/s @ 23˚ C
Inner pipe flow-rate 0.5kg/s @ 51˚C

Use the correlation for turbulent flow:
Nu = 0.023 Re0.8 Pr0.33 (μ/μw)0.14
The physical properties of water are:
Cp of water @ 23˚C = 4.187kJ/kgK
Cp of water @ 51˚C = 4.184kJ/kgK
k of water @ 23˚C = 0.670W/mK
k of water @ 51˚C = 0.635W/mK"

Included in the question is also a density and viscosity to relevant temperatures table
Ive been working through it and have calculated all cross sectional areas, but then i can't seem to put it into any equations (nusselts etc), as i am unable to find the in temperature (and so relevant density/viscosity) - i tried finding log means of the temperatures, densities and viscosities but nothing seems to work...
any help would be great thanks :)
Tm

Physics news on Phys.org
timmayy said:
Hi, I've recently been given a series of questions on heat transfer to do and have done most of them with general ease, but this one question I've been stuck on for ages and i can't seem to figure out:

"A double pipe heat exchanger is made up from a length of 25mm i.d. steel pipe of 2.5mm thickness, and a length of 75mm i.d. pipe. The fluid in both pipes is water. Estimate the heat transfer coefficients at the outside and inside of the inner pipe for the following conditions.

Outer pipe flow-rate 5kg/s @ 23˚ C
Inner pipe flow-rate 0.5kg/s @ 51˚C

Use the correlation for turbulent flow:
Nu = 0.023 Re0.8 Pr0.33 (μ/μw)0.14
The physical properties of water are:
Cp of water @ 23˚C = 4.187kJ/kgK
Cp of water @ 51˚C = 4.184kJ/kgK
k of water @ 23˚C = 0.670W/mK
k of water @ 51˚C = 0.635W/mK"

Included in the question is also a density and viscosity to relevant temperatures table
Ive been working through it and have calculated all cross sectional areas, but then i can't seem to put it into any equations (nusselts etc), as i am unable to find the in temperature (and so relevant density/viscosity) - i tried finding log means of the temperatures, densities and viscosities but nothing seems to work...
any help would be great thanks :)
Tm
Show us more details on what you did. Tell us if it is counterflow or cocurrent flow. Can you calculate Re and Pr at least for the inlet conditions?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Show us more details on what you did. Tell us if it is counterflow or cocurrent flow. Can you calculate Re and Pr at least for the inlet conditions?

Chet

Hi, whether it was counter or co current wasnt given in the question, we also don't have inlet or outlet temperatures to work it out with (im not entirely sure what the temperatures given are), all we could do was work out cross sectional areas and we tried taking log mean values for k, viscosity and density to work out reynolds number, but the values calculated was too small for turbulent flow:
found CSA of inner pipe = 4.9087 x10-4 m
CSA of outer pipe = 3.711 x10-3m
μ log mean = 0.71156 mNs/m2
ρ log mean (ρlm) = 992.3646 kg/m3
using U=G/ρlm CSA = 11.36
so, RE = ρUd/μ
RE = 992.3646 x 11.36 x 0.0025 / 0.71156x10-3
= 396075.35
then:
Klm=0.65234 w/mk
Q = 2πr Klm(T1-T2)/(r1-r2)
so we took log mean of temprature and radius to give:
Q = 166.54 W
but all these values seem wrong and we can't piece together how to work it out, everything we've tried involves far too many log means as no exact values are given?
Thanks
Tim

The input data describes the local conditions at a specific point within the heat exchanger. You need to determine the overall heat transfer coefficient, including inside the tube, within the annulus, and through the steel wall. You will need to determine the inside wall temperature and the outside wall temperature. This is going to involve a little trial and error.

For the first iteration, assume that the inside wall temperature is 51C and the outside wall temperature is 23C, so that the temperature is uniform within the tube and within the annulus. These temperatures will be corrected in subsequent iterations. Calculate the Nussult number for the inner flow and for the outer flow. Then get the heat transfer coefficients inside and outside. Now you will need to get the heat flow and the new inside and outside wall temperatures, taking into account the three resistances in series. You now have new values for the temperatures on the inside and outside walls to start the second iteration.

Chet

ahh ok, that's great thanks :)
Tim

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference. It is important because it plays a crucial role in various natural and man-made processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and climate change.

2. What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid medium, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How do you estimate heat transfer coefficients?

Heat transfer coefficients can be estimated through experimental methods or by using mathematical models and equations. Some factors that affect the estimation include the geometry of the objects, the properties of the materials involved, and the flow conditions.

4. What is the difference between convective and conductive heat transfer?

The main difference between convective and conductive heat transfer is the medium through which heat is transferred. Convection involves the movement of a fluid, while conduction occurs through direct contact between objects. Additionally, convection can transfer larger amounts of heat compared to conduction.

5. How does heat transfer affect energy efficiency?

Heat transfer can have a significant impact on energy efficiency. For example, insulation materials can reduce heat transfer and improve energy efficiency in buildings. Understanding the principles of heat transfer also allows for the design of more efficient heating and cooling systems, reducing energy consumption and costs.