Exploring Heat Transfer: Does Temperature Necessarily Reduce?

In summary, the temperature of a system decreases when heat is transferred from the system to its environment.
Bashyboy
Hello Everyone,

The question I am about to pose concerns something I may possibly already have an answer; however, I would like to proceed with posing the query, that I might solidify my understanding.

If a system transfers heat to its environment, does this necessarily imply that the system's temperature must reduce, or is just sufficient for that occurring? It would seem as though it were a necessary cause. Heat is defined as the spontaneous flow of energy from one object to another. So, if heat were flowing from the system, then the system's energy must be decreasing. Because temperature is a measure of the average energy, then if the energy is decreasing, then a decrease in temperature should be measured.

Does this sound reasonable; am I missing anything?

Science news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
If a system transfers heat to its environment, does this necessarily imply that the system's temperature must reduce, or is just sufficient for that occurring? It would seem as though it were a necessary cause. Heat is defined as the spontaneous flow of energy from one object to another. So, if heat were flowing from the system, then the system's energy must be decreasing. Because temperature is a measure of the average energy, then if the energy is decreasing, then a decrease in temperature should be measured.
You have this somewhat backwards. Temperature is the fundamental principle here. If two objects are at different temperatures, then heat will flow from the hot object to the cold one. I would modify your statement to read "Heat is defined as the spontaneous flow of energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature."

Your overall thinking is valid only under the condition that the only energy available is thermal energy. As a counter-example, a system could use chemical energy to maintain its temperature while transferring heat to its environment.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
You have this somewhat backwards. Temperature is the fundamental principle here. If two objects are at different temperatures, then heat will flow from the hot object to the cold one. I would modify your statement to read "Heat is defined as the spontaneous flow of energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature."

Your overall thinking is valid only under the condition that the only energy available is thermal energy. As a counter-example, a system could use chemical energy to maintain its temperature while transferring heat to its environment.
Or work could be getting done on the system?

Bashyboy said:
If a system transfers heat to its environment,
Could you change the word "heat" to the word "energy"?

Heat content of a body is defined as the sum of kinetic energy of all its molecules; average kinetic energy indicates the temperature.

If heat is transferred, some of the molecules kinetic energy is transferred. So, the kinetic energy of all the molecules will get lowered a bit. So, the average of kinetic energy of all the molecules must reduce and thus the temperature.

Edit: Response to some of the recent posts.
Thermally_Agitated_Molecule.gif

THERMAL VIBRATION OF A SEGMENT OF PROTEIN ALPHA HELIX. THE AMPLITUDE OF VIBRATION INCREASES WITH TEMPERATURE.

The above definitions for temperature and heat was extracted from elementary books for the laymen like me. From the recent posts, it seems to be arguing it as wrong. It might be.

I can't even declare those definitions to be wrong or correct, because of lack of experience.

Seeing those definitions it seems that, as hotness of the system increases, kinetic energy increases. And thus definitions from that particular text might be claiming heat to be sum of kinetic energy of all the molecules, and temperature to be average of kinetic energy of all the molecules.

I feel it will be more exact, if heat to be defined as the form of energy which is proportional to sum of the kinetic energy of all the molecules and even temperature to be measure of hotness which is proportional to average of kinetic energy of all the molecules.

And even I think the definitions mean kinetic energy produced due to thermal velocity.

There might be more exact explanation some others might give. I will be waiting to see those exact and quality answers. If there is mistake here, I will be happy in knowing and making corrections myself.

Last edited:
Nothing that Curie Willey said is correct. Throwing a baseball increases its kinetic energy but not its heat content or temperature, and, as pointed out above, there are other sources of energy that can be used to maintain temperature during heat transfer.

1. How does temperature affect heat transfer?

Temperature directly affects the rate of heat transfer. The higher the temperature difference between two objects, the faster heat will transfer from the hotter object to the cooler object.

2. Does increasing temperature always result in increased heat transfer?

No, increasing temperature does not always result in increased heat transfer. Other factors such as the type of material and the presence of insulation can also affect the rate of heat transfer.

3. Can heat transfer occur between objects at the same temperature?

No, heat transfer only occurs when there is a temperature difference between two objects. If two objects are at the same temperature, there will be no net heat transfer between them.

4. How does conduction differ from convection and radiation in terms of heat transfer?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation, on the other hand, is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. All three methods of heat transfer can occur simultaneously.

5. Is heat transfer affected by the physical properties of the materials involved?

Yes, the physical properties of materials such as density, specific heat, and thermal conductivity can affect the rate of heat transfer. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more quickly than materials with lower thermal conductivity.