Height of a baseball - kinematics

Using this value, the two times at which the baseball is at a height of 10.9 m are 0.3683 s and 6.0399 s. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the two times at which a baseball, hit at a speed of 31.4 m/s and an angle of 38.1 degrees above the horizontal, is at a height of 10.9 m. By using the y component of the velocity, the two times are found to be 0.3683 s and 6.0399 s.
CellCoree
A major leaguer hits a baseball so that it leaves the bat at a speed of 31.4 m/s and at an angle of 38.1 above the horizontal. You can ignore air resistance

#1: At what two times is the baseball at a height of 10.9s above the point at which it left the bat? Give your answers in ascending order separated with comma.

my work:
x(t) = X(0) + V(0)t + 1/2at^2

10.9 = 0 + 31.4m/s(t) + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
=-4.9t^2 + 31.4t - 10.9

Using both the Quad. Equation and my calculator, i found the same answer. the answer is: [tex]0.36830144 , 6.0398618[/tex]

can someone help me? i don't know what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Supposed to be 10.9 m in your question.
The velocity of 31.4 m/s is the vector sum of the x and y components. in your equation, you should use the y component of the velocity which is given as 31.4*sin 38.1.

#2: The height of the baseball can be calculated using the kinematic equation y(t) = y(0) + v(0)sin(θ)t - 1/2gt^2, where y(0) is the initial height (0), v(0) is the initial velocity (31.4 m/s), θ is the angle (38.1°), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2). Substituting these values into the equation, we get y(t) = 31.4sin(38.1°)t - 4.9t^2. To find the times when the height is 10.9 m, we can set this equation equal to 10.9 and solve for t. This gives us the quadratic equation 4.9t^2 - 31.4sin(38.1°)t + 10.9 = 0. Solving for t using the quadratic formula, we get two possible times: t = 0.3683 s and t = 6.0399 s. These correspond to the times when the ball is at a height of 10.9 m above the point where it left the bat. Therefore, the two times are 0.3683 s and 6.0399 s, in ascending order.

FAQ: Height of a baseball - kinematics

1. What is the height of a baseball when it is thrown?

The height of a baseball when it is thrown depends on several factors, including the initial velocity and angle at which it is thrown, as well as air resistance. On average, a baseball thrown by a professional pitcher can reach a maximum height of around 50-60 feet.

2. How does air resistance affect the height of a baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts on objects as they move through the air. It can significantly affect the height of a baseball, as it slows down the ball and reduces its height. A higher air resistance will result in a lower maximum height for the baseball.

3. How does the angle at which a baseball is thrown affect its height?

The angle at which a baseball is thrown can greatly affect its height. When thrown at a lower angle, the ball will reach a higher maximum height compared to when it is thrown at a higher angle. This is due to the fact that a lower angle allows for a longer horizontal distance to be covered, resulting in a higher height.

4. What is the relationship between the height and time of a baseball in flight?

The relationship between the height and time of a baseball in flight can be described by the equation h = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2, where h is the height, h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation shows that the height of the baseball decreases over time due to the influence of gravity.

5. How does the weight of a baseball impact its maximum height?

The weight of a baseball does not directly impact its maximum height. However, a heavier ball may have a slightly lower maximum height due to the increased force of gravity acting on it. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and the force of the throw will have a greater impact on the height of a heavier baseball compared to a lighter one.