Helix (spool and wire) geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals (4th ed), Ch. 13 Problems Plus #8 which involves a cable wound around a spool without overlapping. The question is asking for the shortest length along the spool that is covered by the cable. The solution involves a geometric representation and the use of the formula for the circumference of a circle. The image provided in the conversation shows the spool, its orientation, and the two parallel lines representing the vertical distance between coils. The 2Pi(R+r) in the image represents the circumference of the spool/cable. The purpose of the image is to help understand the solution and the presence of 2Pi(R+r) in
Sierpinski

Homework Statement

(From Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals (4th ed), Ch. 13 Problems Plus #8)

A cable has radius r and length L and is wound around a spool with radius R without overlapping. What is the shortest length along the spool that is covered by the cable?

Homework Equations

See image link below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read the solution from the solutions guide and it makes sense, aside from this geometric representation:
(h=vertical distance between coils)

http://img242.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc164&image=th_34593_spool2_122_164lo.jpg"

I'm trying to understand the rationale for this geometric image. Specifically, where is the 2Pi(R+r) coming from? This is clearly the circumference of the spool/cable, but I don't understand its presence in the image. Could someone describe what the image is showing (where the spool is, how it's oriented, what the two parallel line are, etc)? Thanks!

http://img107.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=35205_spool_122_371lo.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I would repost the image, as the link above has too many ads.
Any ideas?

20tqngh.jpg

1. What is helix geometry?

Helix geometry is a mathematical description of the shape created by a spool and wire system. It is a three-dimensional spiral shape that is formed when a wire is wound around a cylindrical spool in a specific pattern.

2. How is the pitch of a helix calculated?

The pitch of a helix is the distance between one complete turn of the wire around the spool. It is calculated by dividing the circumference of the spool by the number of turns of the wire.

3. What is the significance of helix geometry in engineering?

Helix geometry is important in engineering because it is a common shape found in many mechanical systems, such as screws, springs, and gears. Understanding the properties and behavior of helix geometry is essential in designing and analyzing these systems.

4. How does the diameter of the spool affect the shape of the helix?

The diameter of the spool affects the tightness of the helix, with a larger diameter resulting in a wider and looser spiral. It also affects the pitch of the helix, with a larger diameter resulting in a larger pitch and vice versa.

5. Can helix geometry be used in other applications besides mechanical systems?

Yes, helix geometry has applications in various fields, such as biology, chemistry, and physics. It is commonly observed in natural structures, such as DNA molecules and spiral galaxies. It is also used in architecture and art to create visually appealing structures and designs.