Help: Applied Force Formula(?)

In summary, the problem involves a 900kg car moving at 80km/h on a level road. The goal is to determine the distance it will take to stop when the brakes are applied, assuming a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.45. The solution involves calculating the force of friction, which can be done using the coefficient of friction.
whatabootme

Homework Statement

A 900kg car is moving on a level road at 80km/h. If the brakes are applied, what is the distance it will take to stop if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is 0.45.

Homework Equations

F=ma
D=vt
Vf=Vi+at
Really basic Kinematics and Forces(grade 11 level)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help finding the formula for the Force applied. I find it really hard because I am not sure if the velocity is constant or not. I don't really know how to explain my attempt to solve it. I tried using D=vt but I can't find time without acceleration; without acceleration I am not able to find distance, etc.

How would you solve this kind of problem? I tried to google for the formula but I can't seem to find any that will be suitable for this problem.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Whatabootme. Welcome to PF.

The force that's stopping the car is the force of friction. Do you know how to calculate the force of friction using the value of the coefficient of friction?

What is the formula for applied force?

The formula for applied force is F = m x a, where F is the force in newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do you calculate applied force?

To calculate applied force, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing. Once you have these values, you can use the formula F = m x a to calculate the applied force.

What is the unit of measurement for applied force?

The unit of measurement for applied force is newtons (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton, a famous physicist who made significant contributions to the study of force and motion.

What are some real-life examples of applied force?

Some real-life examples of applied force include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a soccer ball, lifting weights, and throwing a ball. Anytime you exert a force on an object, you are applying force to it.

How is applied force different from other types of force?

Applied force is a specific type of force that describes the physical force that is applied to an object by a person or another object. Other types of force include gravitational force, electric force, and magnetic force.