Help Binomial Distribution: Statistics for M.E's

In summary: If you are not getting the answer you are looking for, you may need to switch up some of the variables.
geno678
Help! Binomial Distribution: Statistics for M.E's

Homework Statement

Four wheel bearings are to be replaced on a company vehicle. The mechanic has selected the four replacement parts from a large supply bin in which 10% of the bearings are defective and will fail within the first 100 miles. What is the probability that the company vehicle will have a breakdown due to defective wheel bearings?

Homework Equations

Binomial Distribution Formula.

Pn(x) = C(n,x) (P^x) (q^(n-x)) = n! / ( (x!) * (n -x)! ) * (P^x) * (q^n-x)

I tried Latex but for some reason it wouldn't work properly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that q probability of failure =.1 q = p - 1
and probability of succes =.9

n # number of trials = 4
X # of successes = ?

I can plug in the values that's not the problem for me.

The main problem is the number of trials and successes. I don't know if I'm right.

A mechanic chooses 4 new bearings out of a large bin. So I'm assuming the number of trials is 4. But I don't know what the # of successes are. I have a 90% chance that the bearings will be fine, so what does this mean? Unless I have more than 4 trials.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok I think I got it, they said 10 percent were defective out of a large bin. They chose 4.
If I multiply 4 * .1 = .4 that is 4 out of 10 that are defective. Then this must mean 5/10 are successful. That means my p isn't .9 it is .5

No. The probability that a selected bearing is good is .9. Since the supply of bearings is large you can assume that whether or not a bearing chosen is good or bad doesn't affect the probability for the next bearing selected. So figure the choices are independent.

So what is the probability all four are good?

If they aren't all good, there will be an accident. What is the probability of that given the answer to my first question?

The probability that all four are good is. (1/4)*(1/4)*(1/4)*(1/4) = 1/256 = .4 chance that all four are good

geno678 said:
The probability that all four are good is. (1/4)*(1/4)*(1/4)*(1/4) = 1/256 = .4 chance that all four are good

Where are you getting the 1/4 from? The problem says that 90% of them are good.

Ok wait a minute. So 90% probability for each bearing that it is good.

Then I guess for four bearings it would be (9/10)*(9/10)*(9/10)*(9/10) = 65.61%

For some reason I was thinking you had 1 out 4 chances of a bearing being right, that's why I said 1/4. My mistake.

If they aren't all good it will be. (.1)*(.1)*(.1)*(.1) = .01%

Am I way off??

I get it. It's just 90%. Because it's consistent for every trial.

Ok I get it now. Their are 8 trials because, 1 wheel bearing can be good or bad. That's 2 trials for 1 wheel bearing. For four wheel bearings, you get 8 trials. And the number of successes are 4.

geno678 said:
Ok wait a minute. So 90% probability for each bearing that it is good.

Then I guess for four bearings it would be (9/10)*(9/10)*(9/10)*(9/10) = 65.61%

Yes. That is the probability that all four are good. Now how can you figure out the probability that they aren't all good from that? That is what you are looking for.

Ok I plugged in all of my variables, but the equation is set up to find the success of the parts. Do I need to switch up some variables?

What is the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials with a binary outcome (i.e. success or failure). It is commonly used in statistics to model real-world phenomena such as coin flips, election results, or success rates in medical treatments.

How is the binomial distribution different from other probability distributions?

The binomial distribution is unique because it only has two possible outcomes (success or failure) and each trial is independent. This makes it different from other probability distributions, such as the normal distribution, which can have infinite outcomes and assumes that each observation is dependent on the previous one.

What is the formula for calculating the binomial distribution?

The formula for calculating the binomial distribution is: P(x) = (n! / (x!(n-x)!) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial.

How do I use the binomial distribution in real-world applications?

The binomial distribution is commonly used in real-world applications to analyze data and make predictions. For example, a company may use it to predict the success rate of a new product launch based on past data. It can also be used in medical research to determine the effectiveness of a new treatment compared to a placebo.

What are the limitations of the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution has a few limitations, including the assumption of independent trials, which may not always hold true in real-world scenarios. It also assumes a fixed number of trials, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the binomial distribution is only applicable to binary outcomes and cannot be used for continuous data.