Help choosing final year project - renewable energy

In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineering student looking for a final year project related to renewable energy, specifically wind energy. They are considering a project on the sound emitted by wind farms/turbines and are looking for suggestions on unique or interesting topics in this area. The conversation also discusses the importance of having a specific scope and aims for the project and discourages doing a design project for a thesis.
VooDoo
Hi guys,

I am a mechanical engineering student and before the end of this year, I must select final year project to do research on. I am really interested in renewable energy and have a particular interest in wind energy/wind turbines.

I am after a project that will require me to do site visits and record data. For example I was thinking of doing a project on the sound emitted by wind farms/turbines, however don't know if this is too simple or if it has been overdone? Is there anything unique or interesting to research in this area?

Any suggestions, I would like my research to involve site visits to record data and I am really keen on wind energy, but would also consider Hydro, solar and geothermal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a final project you need to be very very specific about the scope and aims of the project.

So you've gone to a field and measured the sound emitted. then what?The project title also helps nail down precisely what you are looking at. For example I am interesed in cars and fancy doing a tuning project for my thesis.Title 1: Tuning the torque curve of an engine.

Poor project, as the aims are not specifically laid out. Without a clear goal for the project the scope will grow and grow and you'll end up with lots of very simple stuff that will not have a good project.Title 2: The use of pressure wave tuning in inlet and exhaust primaries with the aim of optimising the torque curve for top end power.

This has the scope truly nailed down, you are looking at 1 thing and can go into detail with it. This is the sort of thing that produces a good project.
Also don't EVER do a design project for a thesis if you can get away with it. They are an effing nightmare, I did one for my masters and it requires subtantially more work for the same grade than an analysis project. What I am saying is its easier to go into extremem detail with analyis than it is to go into extreme depth with design and thus easier toge tthe big marks.

Last edited:

1. What are some popular topics for final year projects in renewable energy?

Some popular topics for final year projects in renewable energy include solar energy, wind energy, bioenergy, hydro energy, and energy storage. These topics offer a wide range of research opportunities and are highly relevant in today's world.

2. How can I choose a specific topic for my final year project in renewable energy?

You can choose a specific topic for your final year project in renewable energy by first narrowing down your interests and then conducting thorough research on potential topics. Consider the current trends and challenges in the renewable energy field and choose a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a final year project in renewable energy?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a final year project in renewable energy include the relevance and significance of the topic, the availability of resources and data, the feasibility of the project, and your own interests and skills. It is also important to consider the potential impact of your project on the renewable energy industry.

4. Can I work on a final year project in renewable energy even if I do not have a background in this field?

Yes, you can work on a final year project in renewable energy even if you do not have a background in this field. It is recommended to have some basic knowledge and understanding of renewable energy concepts, but you can also seek guidance from your supervisor or collaborate with other students or experts in the field.

5. How can I ensure the success of my final year project in renewable energy?

To ensure the success of your final year project in renewable energy, it is important to plan and organize your project effectively, conduct thorough research, seek guidance from your supervisor, and regularly review and analyze your progress. Collaboration with other students or experts in the field can also help in achieving success in your project.