Help deriving expression for the error in velocity.

In summary, the error expression for v_{x} can be derived from the equation v_{x}=\frac{s}{\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}} by taking into consideration the error expressions for the individual variables involved (s, h, and g) and applying the Root Sum of Squares method for independently measured variables. This approach yields a more conservative estimate of the resultant uncertainty. The error of a square root is equivalent to taking the exponent of the quantity being square rooted and multiplying it by half of the relative error.
Vasili

Homework Statement

Derive the error expression [tex]\delta v_{}x [/tex] from the equation [tex]v _{x}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{s}{sqrt(\frac{2h}{g})}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've derived error expressions before, but I have a history of getting the calculations right and the error equations wrong. So, if possible I'd like to have someone tell me what I am doing wrong (if anything) when I derive this.

For any two numbers divided by one another (2h/g), the error z is:

[tex]\delta[/tex]z=|z|([tex]\frac{\delta x}{|x|} + \frac{\delta y}{|y|}[/tex])
So:
[tex]\delta[/tex]z=|z|([tex]\frac{\delta h}{|h|} + \frac{\delta g}{|g|}[/tex])

At this point intuition tells me that I should just multiply that by two to get the error in 2(h/g), but I think I've done that before and got it wrong.

I have no idea what the error of a square root is. I'm going to guess it's the same as the error in squaring something, so the error in the initial equation would be:

[tex]\delta[/tex]v=|v|([tex]\frac{2 \delta h}{|h|} + \frac{2 \delta g}{|g|} + \frac{\delta s}{|s|}[/tex])

So, am I right? If not, what am I doing wrong? It's fairly crucial to understand these rules, I think, so any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vasili said:

Homework Statement

Derive the error expression [tex]\delta v_{}x [/tex] from the equation [tex]v _{x}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{s}{sqrt(\frac{2h}{g})}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've derived error expressions before, but I have a history of getting the calculations right and the error equations wrong. So, if possible I'd like to have someone tell me what I am doing wrong (if anything) when I derive this.

For any two numbers divided by one another (2h/g), the error z is:

[tex]\delta[/tex]z=|z|([tex]\frac{\delta x}{|x|} + \frac{\delta y}{|y|}[/tex])
So:
[tex]\delta[/tex]z=|z|([tex]\frac{\delta h}{|h|} + \frac{\delta g}{|g|}[/tex])

At this point intuition tells me that I should just multiply that by two to get the error in 2(h/g), but I think I've done that before and got it wrong.

I have no idea what the error of a square root is. I'm going to guess it's the same as the error in squaring something, so the error in the initial equation would be:

[tex]\delta[/tex]v=|v|([tex]\frac{2 \delta h}{|h|} + \frac{2 \delta g}{|g|} + \frac{\delta s}{|s|}[/tex])

So, am I right? If not, what am I doing wrong? It's fairly crucial to understand these rules, I think, so any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

One thing I would note is that g is a gravitational constant that unless you are measuring it and using it generally doesn't carry an error or if it does carries a relative error of 0.

Well, the equation is a lab equation and they always give gravity along with its uncertainty. But is the rest of it right?

Vasili said:
Well, the equation is a lab equation and they always give gravity along with its uncertainty. But is the rest of it right?

Some treatments of uncertainty for independently measured variables take the Root Sum of the Squares of the relative uncertainties for multiplication division and the absolute uncertainties for addition subtraction. You will have to be the judge of what your lab may be wanting from you.

Your answer would be the more conservative approach as it would yield a greater resultant uncertainty.

As for exponents I think you take the exponent and multiply it times the relative uncertainty of the quantity being taken to the exponent. So for sqrt I think you take 1/2 the relative error quantity.

Oh, right. Square root is the same as taking it to the 1/2 exponent. I keep forgetting that, thanks.

Related to Help deriving expression for the error in velocity.

1. What is the error in velocity?

The error in velocity refers to the difference between the measured or calculated velocity and the true or expected velocity. It is a measure of the accuracy of the velocity measurement or calculation.

2. How is the error in velocity calculated?

The error in velocity can be calculated by taking the difference between the measured or calculated velocity and the true or expected velocity, and then dividing it by the true or expected velocity. This value is often multiplied by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. What factors can contribute to the error in velocity?

There are several factors that can contribute to the error in velocity, including measurement or calculation errors, environmental conditions, and limitations of the equipment or methods used to measure or calculate velocity.

4. Can the error in velocity be reduced?

Yes, the error in velocity can be reduced by using more accurate measurement methods or equipment, minimizing environmental disturbances, and improving the precision of calculations. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging them can also help reduce the error in velocity.

5. How is the error in velocity expressed?

The error in velocity is typically expressed as a percentage, but it can also be expressed as an absolute value or in terms of standard deviations. It is important to specify the method of expressing the error in velocity when reporting results.