Help finding an equation for the level curve

• Thread starter SigmaCrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, Edwin tried to find the equation for the level curve f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy), but he got stuck. He tried using polar coordinates, but then he got stuck. He finally got help from his friends, and he was able to find the equation.
SigmaCrisis
Hey guys, I tried it out, but I just don't get it. I have to find the equation for the level curve f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy); that contains the point P(1,0). By the way, e^(xy) is read e to the x times y, just in case.

What I did, which looks wrong the whole way was:

(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy) ---> (x^2)(e^(xy)) + (y^2)(e^(xy)) = 0

---> ln(x^2) + ln(e^(xy)) = (-1) ln(y^2) + ln(e^(xy))
---> 2ln(x) + xy = (-1) (2ln(y) + xy)
---> 2ln(x) = (-1)(2ln(y))

...and I'm stuck there. Could anyone help correct this, or if possible, help continue? Thanks a bunch.Help finding an equation for the level curve...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I tried it out, but I just don't get it. I have to find the equation for the level curve f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy); that contains the point P(1,0). By the way, e^(xy) is read e to the x times y, just in case.

What I did, which looks wrong the whole way was:

(x^2 + y^2)e^(xy) ---> (x^2)(e^(xy)) + (y^2)(e^(xy)) = 0

---> ln(x^2) + ln(e^(xy)) = (-1) ln(y^2) + ln(e^(xy))
---> 2ln(x) + xy = (-1) (2ln(y) + xy)
---> 2ln(x) = (-1)(2ln(y))

...and I'm stuck there. Could anyone help correct this, or if possible, help continue? Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry bout the double pasting there.

I believe that level curves are values of f(x,y) where f(x,y) = a constant.

To find the level curve of f(x, y)=(x^2 + y^2)*e^(x*y) that contains the point p(1,0):

Step 1: Evaluate f(x,y) at p(1,0) that is, f(1,0) = constant k

Step 2: your level curve that contains the point p(1,0) is then just
f(x,y) = k, the constant you found in step one.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know and I'll work an example similar to the one you posted above.

Best Regards,

Edwin

Why don't you use polar coordinates? Also, why are you setting the function to 0? You should be setting it to f(1, 0) -- as edwin suggested!

Thanks a bunch guys...

What is a level curve?

A level curve is a curve on a two-dimensional graph that represents all the points where a given function has the same output or "level."

Why do we need to find an equation for a level curve?

Finding an equation for a level curve allows us to visualize the behavior of a function and understand how its output changes as the input changes.

How do you find an equation for a level curve?

To find an equation for a level curve, set the function equal to a constant and solve for one of the variables. The resulting equation represents the curve on the graph where the function has the given constant output.

Can you find an equation for a level curve for any function?

Yes, an equation can be found for a level curve for any function that is continuous and differentiable.

What information can be gained from a level curve?

A level curve can provide information about the behavior of a function, such as its critical points, maximum and minimum values, and overall shape. It can also be used to visualize relationships between two variables in a function.